Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 42" lawn tractor won't drive.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tacomageorge

Craftsman 42" lawn tractor won't drive.
Original Message   Jul 9, 2010 10:30 am
I have a Craftsman 42" lawn tractor (Model #: 917.270721).  It was working fine and used it a week ago.  Last night went to mow the lawn and it would not drive (forward or backward).  I thought it was the disengage switch, but it doesn't do a thing.  I took off the back cover, but, honestly, not sure what I should be looking for. 
I am broke and can not afford to take it to someone else to fix. 
Hope someone may be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Craftsman 42" lawn tractor won't drive.
Reply #1   Jul 9, 2010 3:08 pm
Check that the brake is not engaged and that the drive belt is intact. The tranny release lever on the back plate should move in and out. One way engages the tranny, the other way allows it to freewheel out of gear.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
tacomageorge

Re: Craftsman 42" lawn tractor won't drive.
Reply #2   Jul 12, 2010 10:00 am
Figured out that it was the key stock that fell out when I repaired the rear tire.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42