Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens and Home Depot

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
colecacola

Ariens and Home Depot
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Based on recommendations from this forum I purchased an Ariens 8526 in late December. The local dealer, at the time, did not have any in stock, so I bought it at Home Depot.

I read the manual and did the break in procedure. All seemed ok. With about five inches on the ground (I have a large driveway (triple wide garage) and live on a corner lot)), the 8526 traveled, in 1st gear, about ten feet and then stopped. Wouldn’t move…

Rather than fix the machine, I brought it back to Home Depot and upgraded to the 11528LE (for about $100 more than the 8526).

I also did the break in procedure, and with eight inches of snow on the ground, with drifts up to 28 inches, it took about three minutes of operation before the impeller stopped turning. It squealed like a pig on crack.

I spent four hours going through the manual and checking everything, but couldn’t get it to work. So, I bypassed Home Depot (sick of changing machines), and called the local Ariens service dealer. They picked it up the following day (yesterday), and said that a washer/bolt broke internally but it should work from now on (the person relaying the info didn’t have the specifics, and I hope to track down exactly what the problem is at a later time).

They dropped it back at my house this morning, and I went home over lunch today and removed the snowdrifts that I couldn’t move on Saturday (back pain and ticked off). Today, the temp was about 38 degrees, the 11528 shot the heavy snow about 15-25 feet. I’m guessing this is normal performance for the conditions.

Home Depot, because of two machines not working at no fault of mine, is offering a $25 gift certificate (rather than give me the $$ difference between the price I paid for the 11528 last week and the now clearance price). They say it’s corporate policy to not honor recent purchases against clearance items (only sale items).

Snowblower gurus, what would you do…am I out for blood and needlessly taking on a big corporation by demanding the difference between the price I paid and the clearance price (about $190)? Or, take the $25 gift certificate and call it a lesson learned?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Replies: 6 - 15 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
colecacola

Re: Ariens and Home Depot
Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 6:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Solid suggestions…

Home Depot (HD), at least, did not charge delivery to remove the 8526 and drop off the 11528 (after much debate). 

I did tell HD I'm returning the recently fixed 11528 and buying another one on clearance (best option), but as jubol mentioned, they are completely out of stock, and said they probably won’t be getting more in.

The local dealer, also, is out of stock (too bad, even if they couldn't match the HD clearance price). And, call me crazy, but I still think Ariens can be a good long-term investment.

I’d rather not hand it back to HD and not buy another one until more are available, since Minnesota gets the most snow in February/March. Or, does HD, or dealers, often replenish their stock of snow blowers in January, so that I can take the risk of not having a back savior for a while?

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by colecacola

Ariens 11528LE snowthrower; Honda Harmony II HRR216SDA lawnmower; Ryobi 825R gas trimmer ; Anti-perspirant deodorant
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #7   Jan 25, 2005 6:26 pm
H-Depot put all their snowblowers on sale 1-2 weeks ago to get rid of 'em...  10-25% off...

I'd expect you'll only see additional ones there if they have them in stock... or maybe customer returns...
...doubt any new ones would be ordered/shipped in...

Snowblower manufacturing usually stops quite a bit before snow season...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #8   Jan 25, 2005 6:27 pm
That sounds all to familiar to me.  I was looking for a Ariens snowthrower at Home Depot last year also.  I bought a 1128 LE, and had to go 60 miles to get it.  Meanwhile, we had a storm that completely run out of their stock.  I had to drive another 60 miles to get another one.  The trip was worth while because of a car show.  All this because of leaking oil on the first one.  The second had a bent auger housing.  Now I have the 926 DLE that seems about just right. 
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

robmints

Reply #9   Jan 25, 2005 7:18 pm
I try not to deal with Home Depot.

But if you feel comfortable, you could treat them as they treat you. Just play by the corporate rules.

You need a gallon of paint, buy a five of custom mix, use a gallon, take the rest back. You know how paint dries and never looks the same in the light at your house.

Doing some trim work, those Paslodes are real nice, buy one use it. take it back. Make sure to return the nails and the empty canisters too. You know how those nails bent and the canisters leaked once you put them on.

Ect. Ect.

Or you can do as I do, Just Say No. To  Home Depot.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Jan 25, 2005 7:30 pm
You buy from Home Depot or other big box stores and you get a good price with no service. The machines are assembled by inexperienced employees who  can't by any stretch of the imagination be called a technician or mechanic. They have a pretty liberal return policy but that to my way of thinking is no comfort. I want a machine to work properly the first time. I know that buying from an ope shop doesen't guarantee a trouble free experience but these numerous reports being posted here  about HDare a nightmare.Who would you want setting up your machine or trying to track down some gremlin that is infecting it-A tech like BUTTLINT or a nice polite young man who will be working in plumbing or electrical as soon as they are sold out of machines.

Finally ,you can't buy the top of the line machines from the big box stores. Not wanting to insult anyone but the difference in price between the LE and DLE models in the Ariens line is trivial when considering the cast iron gear box,limited slip differential etc.IMHO you are much better off researching which of the local ope shops enjoys a good reputation and doing business with them!

Marc

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Smitty

"He who dies with the most toys/tools wins!"

Reply #11   Jan 25, 2005 7:32 pm
I can't get over all the snow blowers I read about that get returned to HD.  Where do you think those "defective" machines go after you return them? Back to the factory? Not a shot! Maybe they get the once over and a possible rube goldberg fix, but sooner or later they go right back on the sales floor to be bought by the next unsuspecting person.

I know it isn't always possible to buy from a dealer, their inventory is pretty limited, just remember, Buyer Beware!

Ariens 824 Sno Thro, Toro 18" Gas Trimmer, Craftsman 3.5 HP 9" Edger/Trimmer, Echo SRM230 Trimmer/Brush Cutter, Toro 21" Recycler II Mower, Craftsman 8.5 HP Chipper/Shredder, Craftsman 25cc GAs Blower/Vac, Husky Y1000 Air Compressor, Homelite EZ ChainSaw, Husky Chain Saw
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #12   Jan 25, 2005 8:50 pm
well ...here i go.

im one of those guys that works at the shop that actually fixes the stuff from home depo or whereever.

we sell only the high end machines.we just dont feel good about selling the low buck stuff.

that being said we really do like the box stores because thats where most of our work comes from.

when they are under warranty we repair them and when they are a few years old we repair them some more.

i wont even tell you how many of the new mtd,s with the tiny gear box that i have piled up waiting for parts.

in my opinion you got a good quality machine ,im not sure about pricing.im from the frozen north so when i see the prices you guys pay i kinda drool.

it seems like you wont be able to return and replace it with a new one which you probably would have to take to the local shop anyway and have gone over .

so what do you do,i would go to the shop that repaired it for you with an extra coffee or 2 (around what you figure break time is) and ask the mechanic in his own opinion how he feels about your machine.

im betting he will have quite a bit to say.remember this is the guy that makes his living repairing other peoples mistakes.

bottom line is you have a top quality machine and now you know a dealer that can help you when you need it.

you should have many years service from it.

we call them lifetime units.

your kids will be trying to weasle it from you in 20 years.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #13   Jan 25, 2005 10:18 pm
Snowshovelor is BACK !!!!!!!

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #14   Jan 25, 2005 11:04 pm

I still shop at the box stores for screws nails or light bulbs ETC>>>>>.... but never never never  OPE ..... I got taken for a dishwasher at  LOW LOW LOWES once so anything that costs over 100.00  I try to buy from someone that can at very least stand good for it or fix it . As most know the box stores do get the lesser quality machines in many cases. then they have someone throw 50 of them together on a thursday night at 2am, not worth the hassle I'd rather see the dealers get some extra $$ and write it off as a good deal for some peace of mind ..  Quality dealers are priceless IMHO.....

But lets face it people at the box stores need the work too. Heaven only knows where they worked before

All in fun   Tom
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by sawme

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2005 11:06 pm
sawme wrote:
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by sawme

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
Replies: 6 - 15 of 38Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42