Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Problem? With my Snow Commander

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cosmo

Problem? With my Snow Commander
Original Message   Jan 25, 2005 2:17 pm
I was using the snow commander this weekend in NJ with the 12-15" that we had. I think there might be a problem with the machine though. It only throws the snow about 3 feet and thats with taking a 1/2 or 1/4 pass not the the full 24". The engine seems to be running fine, just can't really throw the snow. I recently had a belt replaced and checked all of the adjustments. Any thoughts on this? is this normal?
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
buttlint

Re: Problem? With my Snow Commander
Reply #1   Jan 25, 2005 3:37 pm
Cosmo,
They have had a problem with the carbs icing up. You can either put it in a warm place for a few hours. Or.....look inside the throat of the carb for ice formation and remove it if it is present.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #2   Jan 25, 2005 4:04 pm
Cosmo, might check to see if the belt is loose.
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #3   Jan 25, 2005 6:13 pm
Buttlint knows far more about Toro quirks than I do. So his advice is probably on target. (He seems to be our "Guru". I have a Toro 3650 and the auger cable needs to be adjusted correctly to get full speed from the auger. I don't know if the Commander has the same. Best regards, Walt
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2005 6:22 pm
cosmo wrote:
I was using the snow commander this weekend in NJ with the 12-15" that we had. I think there might be a problem with the machine though. It only throws the snow about 3 feet and thats with taking a 1/2 or 1/4 pass not the the full 24". The engine seems to be running fine, just can't really throw the snow. I recently had a belt replaced and checked all of the adjustments. Any thoughts on this? is this normal?

Cosmo:

This definitely is not normal.  If the blower is stored in the cold the carb could be frozen.  If it is in the garage the reported symptoms by users have been it throws fine and after 30 minutes it detiorates.

My first impression would be to check the discharge chute is not plugged.  Next check the rotor belt and control cable.  Since this is the last thing which was done it is a good spot to rule out.

Another thing to check is the paddles to be sure they do not have excessive wear.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
buttlint

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2005 7:33 pm
Gee, thanks Walt.....As a wrench in a Toro dealership...I have been called a lot worse in the last 3 days

The problem is not isolated too the 3650's. The Snowcommanders and 2450's are doing the same thing.  I currently have about 20 units "melting down" in the shop. (That doesnt include the ones that have gone out in the last couple of days.) The ice is also causing the pull starter not too engage. (starter palls frozen.)

I think this is the first real big test that these units have had since they were introduced several years ago. I have seen this happen before...but not in these numbers.
I guarrantee that this will catch Toros attention, bigtime. They did make efforts too alleviate the problem on the new models, but it looks like they have some work ahead of them.
I wouldnt panic if I owned one....but I would be ticked about it.  Thats understandable. But I have worked with Toro for a few years and I trust that they will take care of the problem. They always have..as far as I am concerned.

But...All that doesnt help the guy that doesnt want too take it into the dealer, and have it tied up for any period of time. So.....
If you have the starter pawl problem....get the machine in a warm place and let it melt down. That doesnt solve the problem....but it gets you back on the road. The reps tell me that the grease is too thick...and it needs some time too distribute onto the pawls.  (We shall see) That is not an isolated problem with Toro....all brands will do that considering the conditions.

As far as the carb icing goes....All I can suggest is: Removing the carb cover, let the thing melt down,  lay the unit back on its handle, prime it few times and check too see if you have any unclear mix in your spit cup. (Water mixed with fuel.)  I stick a rag in the cup too absorb it , until the fuel is clear.  If it somehow mananged too creep into the bowl....that's another kettle of fish. (It seldom does.)

Or.....take it too your dealer..and let them deal with it. ( I really enjoy getting paid too watch ice melt)

Cosmo: I dont know whether this is the cause of your problem or not. But I do know that I have heard alot of the same symptoms in the last 3 days.
If it is not the problem....we simply go from there. HTH
cosmo

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 9:58 pm
Thank you-all. Excellent advice, I will follow up on these possible causes.
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Reply #7   Jan 26, 2005 8:47 am
buttlint:

Nice service bulletin. 

Printed it out for future reference.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42