Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > backpack leaf blowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jimbedro

backpack leaf blowers
Original Message   May 8, 2010 2:54 pm
Hi. I'm in the market for a bakcpack leaf blower. I'm looking at the husquevarna 350BT. Does anyone have and comments about this machnie?
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
marcbike

Re: backpack leaf blowers
Reply #3   May 13, 2010 7:44 am
I have a cheapo homelite backpack blower and I love it despite it being underpowered. Every model you guys mention above are what I would like to upgrade to if I could justify it.
friiy

Reply #4   May 13, 2010 2:25 pm
Some of the old Homelite backpacks were made with Kawasaki engines (40 cc)..   - Very good units...  See what you have before you cast it off...   The Japanees stuff is built like Motercycles,  with alot of care and thought...

Friiy

FrankMA

Reply #5   Jul 1, 2010 7:28 pm
Here's a review I did last year a few months after I purchased my Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower:

Thought I’d provide a review of this Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower that I purchased back in mid September. I’ve been using a McCulloch Backpack Blower that I originally purchased new about 13 years ago. It served me well over the years but was slowly dying so I thought I’d make the move sooner than later and not get stuck in the middle of leaf clearing season – bad news when you live in an oak forest.

Here’s some info on this model:

BR 550 Backpack Blower

DISPLACEMENT: 64.8 cc (3.95 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER: 3.0 kW (4.0 bhp)
WEIGHT: 9.9 kg (21.8 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY: 1400 cc (47.3 oz.)
AIR VOLUME: 900 m3/h (530 cfm)
AIR VELOCITY: 89 m/sec. (199 mph)
SOUND RATING: 73 dB(A)

Pros: Very powerful and able to clear leaves from a distance of about 8 -10 feet with ease; Run time of about 1 hour at WOT; Fairly quiet but you still need hearing protection; Engine sound is less annoying than most leaf blowers; Easily pushes large volumes of leaves; Weighs a bit less than my old McCulloch; Blow Tube/Control Handle rotate easily; Blow tubes stay together; Flex hose is soft and very pliable yet heavy duty; WOT locking lever so you don’t have to hold the trigger constantly; Throttle Trigger controls the engine speed very precisely; Starts easily – 5 pushes of the primer bulb, 1 or 2 clicks of the choke knob and 1 -2 pulls and your ready to go: Automatically switches from the choke position to the idle speed position when you press the throttle trigger; Harness is nicely padded and fairly comfortable

Cons: You have to be careful when releasing the WOT lock lever – move it too far and you shut the engine down. No big deal, but you have to remove the blower to start it again. Fuel cap takes a bit of getting used to but again, not a deal breaker. $ 420.00 – A little pricey but comparable to others in this class and you get what you pay for.

I highly recommend this to anyone needing a really good leaf blower. It’s well constructed and moves leaves and other yard debris my old McCulloch could never even think of moving. Hope it helps to narrow your search when the time comes.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 3 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42