Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Jacobson Snow Burst Governor Linkage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Q_ickstart

Jacobson Snow Burst Governor Linkage
Original Message   Apr 29, 2010 8:20 pm
Hello,

The Governor is not connected to the carb. The wind vane is pale yellow in color and the other piece is missing that connects to the carb. So I find another machine....same engine ... same carb.  Now the person I bought the parts machine from already had the carb off, and the rod was connected to the carb. the wind vane is black on this parts machine and looks different than the yellow wind vane.

Am I missing a link connector? how many pieces make up the governor?

I have the vane with spring that is attached to engine and a rod that is connected to the butterfly valve on the carb. I need help on how they connect.

The specs: Jacobson Snow Burst

Engine No. 9G16A518830

SN#  51610  185466

Any help would be greatly appreciated so I can move on to summer chores.

Regards,John

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Jacobson Snow Burst Governor Linkage
Reply #1   Apr 30, 2010 9:13 am
Parts exploded view here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24511004/Jacobsen-Snowblower-Owner-Manual?secret_password=&autodown=pdf

It shows the governor parts.

trouts2

Reply #2   May 6, 2010 8:32 am
  You've probably figured this out by now but....

It just so happened that I got a Snowburst a few days ago with problems.   The yellow arm that attaches to the carb butterfly connects by putting the yellow arm hole on an arm end that extends from the post connected to the butterfly post.  The arm that sticks out from the carb is on the bottom of the carb.  The loop goes over that arm end and is held on by a small C clip.  There's no room to do that with the carb mounted. 

trouts2

Reply #3   May 6, 2010 2:42 pm

Ugh, it just so happens I now know how the governor fits and works. 

When pulling the carb it’s very easy to disconnect the governor link arm and if you were not there and only had parts it would be very difficult to figure out how things go.

The governor vane assembly is by the lower part of the cowling out of view from above.  It’s 29 on the drawing.    On the drawing to the left on 29 is a small right angle piece with about ½ inch arms.  That piece can be seperated from the rest of the assembly.  One arm is keyed along it’s length.  The keyed part slips into a hole on the governor vane assembly.  The other side fit into a hole in the governor link.   If you stick your finger down there and move it back and forth you’ll hit the assembly which swings back and forth with your finger.    It’s pushed to the left by the spring viewed from the impeller side.   

The way to get the governor vane link (65 on the drawing) back in is to take out the right angle part from the governor assembly.  It will pull out by going straight down towards the ground.

Connect the keyed end of the right angle piece into the governor vane link which should first be attached to the nub on the carb by the inlet.  That’s the one held on with the c-clip.  To make things easier disconnect the choke cable. 

By reaching under the carb with your right hand grab the vane link with your finger on the hole end with the right angle piece attached.  With a left hand finger push out the governor so you can line up the hole with the right angle piece.  Slip the right angle piece Into the governor hole.  If you have a head flashlight you can just get some light into the area between the carb and cowling to almost get a view of the pieces being fit.  

Since the hole and right angle arm are keyed and moving them into place out of view it’s tough to get the keyed arm into the hole.   Once it’s in, the arm and link are now (already) attached to the carb body.   Turn the carb slightly to get the long mounting bolts in then put the choke cable in.  Now the carb can be  mounted.  There’s no room to work in there so I used a small screwdriver drill bit and pliers to turn the mounting screws.

All in all it’s a frustrating carb to work on given the placement with no room to work.  It easy to see why you have been left with those particular parts.  Someone pulled the carb and probably gave up on fitting the governor link.  When the carb is pulled you can’t see the governor vane link and it easily comes off the right angle part of the governor assembly.  It took me about 20 minutes just to find the governor assembly hole let alone the time to fit it back in with the link attached. 

This message was modified May 6, 2010 by trouts2
Q_ickstart

Reply #4   Jul 8, 2010 12:40 pm
Thanks for your help Trouts2,  As it turned out My vane had the tip ( the  "T" ) part broken off.  The "T" part connects to the linkage that goes to the carburetor.  The Chicago Lawnmower Service Co. had helped also after I provided him a photo and asked what was missing.

He also told me some of these were junk and some were the best little snow-throwers for the money.  Also stated that the paddle bearing opposite the pulley are known to fail. Would this be better oiled of just left alone?  Not sure if it is a self lubricating bronze bearing. 

Regards, John

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42