Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 4 stroke single stage snowblowers with 6 hp OHV Tecumseh engine?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Toro 4 stroke single stage snowblowers with 6 hp OHV Tecumseh engine?
Original Message   Mar 13, 2010 12:45 pm
I have an opportunity to purchase a slightly used 2009 toro 421 single stage snowblower. It has a 195 cc tecumseh OHV engine. Does anyone have any experience with this engine?
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
clint

Re: Toro 4 stroke single stage snowblowers with 6 hp OHV Tecumseh engine?
Reply #5   Mar 16, 2010 12:04 pm
"It has a 195 cc tecumseh OHV engine."
Just too clarify..........The older 421 had a standard side valve Tecumseh engine and not an overhead valve engine.
The new models use a Loncin overhead valve type.
aa335

Reply #6   Mar 16, 2010 1:24 pm
superbuick wrote:
Personally, Joe, I would just get the 2 stroke over either of the 4 stroke models. It is more powerful than both of them, and certainly more reliable than the first-year loncin engines (the tecumseh 4 stroke in the previous gen 421 was reliable) By this point in time, they've pretty much perfected the 2 stroke single stage into a very reliable, high performing unit. Unless you have some EPA/government/olfactory driven aversion to 2-strokes, they are the better choice in this application.

I could have swore you were on Toro's payroll.  :)  Good points though.  Its hard to ignore that Rtek engine is perfected by now.
This message was modified Mar 16, 2010 by aa335
joed

Reply #7   Mar 16, 2010 1:25 pm
clint wrote:
"It has a 195 cc tecumseh OHV engine."
Just too clarify..........The older 421 had a standard side valve Tecumseh engine and not an overhead valve engine.
The new models use a Loncin overhead valve type.
Clint,

The model I am looking at has an OHV 195 cc Tecumseh engine.  These models were European models that were sent to Canada when they ran out of single stage snowblowers last year.  My guess is that they have the same specs as the side-valve version. 
clint

Reply #8   Mar 16, 2010 5:28 pm
My bad, Joed. I didnt know they existed.
Would you post a model number just in case I ever run into one?
Thanks.
joed

Reply #9   Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm
clint wrote:
My bad, Joed. I didnt know they existed.
Would you post a model number just in case I ever run into one?
Thanks.
Number on the unit I'm looking at is 6053.
superbuick

Reply #10   Mar 17, 2010 8:33 am
aa335 wrote:
I could have swore you were on Toro's payroll.  :)  Good points though.  Its hard to ignore that Rtek engine is perfected by now.

If I was...wouldn't I be pushing the new stuff??? I hate the direction they are taking things with foreign-made junk and underpowered 4-strokes.
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42