Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Gnashing noise source revealed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Gnashing noise source revealed
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 5:52 pm
Finally discovered the source of the mystery noise. Turns out it's my fault. I bought my machine on a closeout in 1997 and let it sit in it's shipping crate till fall 2003. I did the assembly according to the manual being very careful to pay strict attention to every detail.I also decided to put  Permatex brand belt dressing on the auger belt during my assembly. Yesterday in an attempt to help me Spotted Pony spoke about using soap as a substitute for belt dressing. I had the belt cover off so I decided to dress the belt with the Permatex again. The noise upon auger engagemnent went away immediately. Teriffic!! Shut the engine off ,buttoned her back up and voila, the noise is back!! Took the belt cover off and tried again. Works out that after five minutes of cure time the belt that is treated with the Permatex  makes this loud idescribable gnashing noise on engagement. My bad!!!!!!

Tomorrow I replace the belt and clean the pulley system of the belt dressing. Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with this ongoing problem.

How happy am I that it's not the support bearing in the back of the auger housing that supports the shaft that goes into the gearbox?

Marc   

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42