Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > snowblower will not move forward or reverse

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stonegatehts11

snowblower will not move forward or reverse
Original Message   Mar 1, 2010 8:59 pm
I have a sears craftmen 10hp 30 cut snowblower I have always done my own work but this one has me stumped. When you put it into gear any gear and try blowing it stops. I check the friction wheel looks brand new with very little wear. What I did notice is the the fly wheel moves back away from the friction wheel and does seem to have alot of play in it. I have not taken it apart yet  
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
stonegatehts11

Re: snowblower will not move forward or reverse
Reply #2   Mar 2, 2010 1:07 pm
The model number is #536-886220. On this model the clutch lever moves the drive plate towards the friction wheel. With the clutch engaged you can move it around with ease. I already tried adjusting the cable no help there. I can push the drive plate off the friction wheel with very little effort...  I did notice the the pulley of the engine and the pulley off the drive wheel assemble(driven pulley) do not line up. It appears the driven pulley is pushed to far forward toward the auger assemble.  
trouts2

Reply #3   Mar 2, 2010 4:46 pm

The drawing calls out an 11hp for 536.886220. 

1. The clutch moves the lever assembly that fits over the trunnion bearing. 

2. The trunnion bearing has a hex shaft going through it.  One end of the hex shaft has the friction disk drive plate.  The other end has the big drive pulley. 

The clutch lever should move the lever assembly, trunion bearing, hex shaft, drive plate and drive pulley at the same time.  So it looks like the drive pulley can have some swing but minimal i.e. not enough to have a line up problem you mentioned.

Suspect, most likely to least likely:

1. The trunnion bearing is off the U's of the lever assembly.

2. The screws of the arm extending from the lever assembly are out or loose causing the clutch lever to have zero or minimal effect on the lever assembly.

3. The screw holding on the drive pulley has fallen out or overly loose.

4. The allen screws holding the drive plate to the hex shaft are loose/missing.

5. Your cable adjust is stretched too much to pull in the lever assembly.

6. The drive pulley key is broken.

7. Give what you have said slop in the friction disk hex shaft (two in this system) is not happening.  Slop is only in the drive plate so no issue with the friction disk or its carrier.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2010 by trouts2
stonegatehts11

Reply #4   Mar 2, 2010 9:10 pm
Well I took a close look and everything looks good real good. What I found was 4 broken spot welds on a support plate I found this by splitting the halfs and carefully inspecting all the welds I suspected a broken bracket there was just way too much play between the friction and drive plate. the bracket that was broke was behing the auger I had to split the machine half to gain access to the bracket I will be welding it up tommorrow I wll let you know if this fixes it
Replies: 2 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42