Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How do you remove the auger shaft assembly - MTD 8hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
wonkyhamster

How do you remove the auger shaft assembly - MTD 8hp
Original Message   Feb 24, 2010 10:30 am
I have removed the 2 screws from each of the end bearing housings but the drive shaft does not want to come out of the impeller. Can anyone help please?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
trouts2

Re: How do you remove the auger shaft assembly - MTD 8hp
Reply #1   Feb 24, 2010 10:54 am
   The impeller is held onto the auger drive shaft with roll pins.   They cannot be knocked out whle in place.  Even if you could the impeller will be rust mated to the shaft and impossible to slide off.  There are also parts in back of the housing that have be taken off.  The impeller, auger shaft with rakes and gearbox are usually taken out as an assembly.

The machine has to be split into two parts.  There are 6 bolts on the bucket side of the tractor base that have to come out to seperate the bucket and tractor.  That will give you access to the auger pulley on the tractor side of the intake housing. 

With the pulley and it's key out the assembly will slide out of the auger support bearing mounted on the back of the bucket. 

Most often the auger drive shaft will be rust frozen to the support pulley and take some effort to get it free.  You can soak the bearing/shaft area with solvent. 

Tip the bucket up on it's front supported by 2x4's on each bucket edge.  Then bang the auger drive shaft to break the rust on the shaft/bearing area. 

It helps to first file any rough spots by the key area and very back of the shaft as it may be oversize to the bearing hole.  You can emery cloth off the rust there so it has a better chance of going through the bearing. 

Tap the shaft with a board over the end of the shaft so you don't deform the back of the auger drive shaft. 

This message was modified Feb 24, 2010 by trouts2
wonkyhamster

Re: How do you remove the auger shaft assembly - MTD 8hp
Reply #2   Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm
Thank you very much for the prompt and comprehensive response! I plan to do the work on the snowblower when there is less snow in the forecast (Western MA)!  In the meantime I took a quick look and think there are only 4 screws (2 on each side) attaching the bucket to the tractor. Could this be a different model than the one you describe?  It's about 4 years old and is 8.5hp, 26" wide and 2-stage. Anyway, when the weather clears I will roll up my sleeves and get to work on it.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42