Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Compact Ariens

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Toyotiac

Compact Ariens
Original Message   Feb 20, 2010 5:49 pm
Hello!
   I'm new here, and couldn't find this information in a search, so here I go: I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with Ariens' late model compact snow throwers. I recently bought a used 5520 that I believe is a 2004 model. In testing it at home , I found that I can stop it's forward movement (wheels stop turning) by holding back on the handlebar. Not easy to do , but I can. Opened it up, checked belts and their adjustment, and condition and adjustment of the friction disc; all OK. Doesn't appear to affect operation, just wondering if this is normal. Second question: Is the newer 3 blade, 12" impeller/bucket ass'y a direct replacement? (Mine is 4 blade, 10") I've added a home made impeller kit, but am waiting for the next snow to see if it can do as well as my son's 2009 compact 20. Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
samdog

Re: Compact Ariens
Reply #1   Feb 21, 2010 12:38 am
If you can restrain it, it's not going to drive itself into deeper snow with much authority.

When you hold it back do you hear any high-pitched squealing from the traction belt or friction disc? Do you smell any rubber smoke that would indicate slippage? The belt or disc engagement may need to be adjusted tighter.

If it's quiet the culprit may be oil on the belt or more likely on the friction disc.

Snowmann

Reply #2   Feb 21, 2010 1:28 am
The referenced blower housing and impeller assembly are not a direct replacement. Nearly everything has been re-engineered from your 2004 to your son's 2009 model. They are completely different machines and most parts will not interchange. I doubt you'll be able to match the newer machine. There were many upgrades made in the 2006 to 2009 timeline that are not present on your 2004.

A suggestion about the wheel torque. It might help to adjust the shift rod trunion into a little faster orientation in the first forward speed (the owners manual shows you how to do this). The farther the friction disk is from the center of the drive plate, the more efficient it will be (more drive torque). Your reverse speeds may slow as a result however....
Toyotiac

Reply #3   Feb 21, 2010 9:50 am
samdog: No noise. When I had the bottom cover off, the belt, pulleys, idler, friction disc, and drive plate were all clean and dry. We have some snow in the forecast for tomorrow, so I'll see if it's going to be a problem.
Snowmann:Thanks for the (non) interchangeability info. I had seen you mention in one of your previous posts the major improvements in 2005 or 2006. How can you tell when a friction disc should be replaced? I've noticed they're not terribly expensive.
Toyotiac

Reply #4   Mar 5, 2010 9:14 pm
Followup: A new friction disc (it was worn more than I had guessed) and some elbow grease with a Scotch Brite pad on the drive plate has eliminated all slippage.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42