Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity P1524E Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DaHo

Simplicity P1524E Snowblower
Original Message   Feb 9, 2010 8:13 pm
I started another thread for feedback on the Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum vs. Honda 724 but I just took a look at a Simplicty P1524E and was intrigued.  It goes for $1750, feels really solid, has a lever to unlock one of the wheels for easier turning, heated grips, a light, and an electric button to turn the chute.

But I dont know anything about Simplicity brand equipment. 

Any feedback on this model, Simplicity in general, and how it compares to the Honda or Ariens?

I am a little concerned about an electric button to control the chute.  I can understand that its convenient but seems like if anything is going to go wrong that would be it.  Otherwise, this one feels like a tank.  I am now leaning towards this one and getting ready to pull the trigger.

Again, thanks in advance for any feedback you can give.

This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by DaHo
Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DaHo

Re: Simplicity P1524E Snowblower
Reply #10   Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm
So I got to use the 1524 a little today.  We got about 6 inches of wet packed snow and the Simplicity went thru it like nothing.  But I have a question about it that I hope someone on here can answer before I talk to the place I bought it at.

I noticed that when I stop and let it idle, with both levers released it sometimes makes that aweful sound like when the auger is disengaging.  But it doesnt do it once.  It will keep doing it.  I walked around the front and noticed the auger was still turning albeit slowly.  So I turned the throttle down a little and it stopped making the sound and the auger stopped.  Is this normal?  It sounds like the auger clutch is not fully disengaging when this happens.  Any advice appreciated.

skier1

Reply #11   Feb 17, 2010 6:44 am
DaHo wrote:
I noticed that when I stop and let it idle, with both levers released it sometimes makes that aweful sound like when the auger is disengaging.  But it doesnt do it once.  It will keep doing it.  I walked around the front and noticed the auger was still turning albeit slowly.  So I turned the throttle down a little and it stopped making the sound and the auger stopped.  Is this normal?  It sounds like the auger clutch is not fully disengaging when this happens.  Any advice appreciated.

It may be as simple as the adjustment on the idler pully, it maybe keeping too much tension on the auger, therefore keeping it moving sightly. I have noticed that on mine the auger stops rather quickly.  I am thinking that there might be some kind of brake on the unit, albeit I have not checked with the owners maunal, it is a nice feature for when I am blowing and the kids decide to run out infront of my work area, snow stops right now.
DaHo

Reply #12   Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm
Thanks.

I spoke with the shop today and they told me that the units arrive with the auger set very tight.  They used to try to loosen them up a little before delivery but then when the belts wore in they would slip under heavy loads and need to be tightened back up.  Instead he suggested I use it 4 or 5 times and then if it is still too tight he can come down and make a quick adjustment.  I tried it this morning to clean up the small amounts that fell after I did the driveway last night and it was not doing it.  I did notice that the auger kicks in when I barely touch the lever too which would be in line with what he was saying.  I'll keep an eye on it. 

Replies: 10 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42