Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 724 currently Pathetic

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rocketMan

Ariens 724 currently Pathetic
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 12:34 pm
Hello,

This is my first post is a great forum.

My question is about my nine year old Ariens 724. It's current state of affairs is that it starts up in a heartbeat (it lives in a heated environment) seems to roar with gusto and is raring to go until... it meets snow. This is a significant problem given that it's a (shh...) snowblower. It will throw snow, maybe 10 feet provided the snow is of the perfect consistency and there's not to much of it. All other snow it sort of "mixes" then typically gets it stuck in the lower, pre-chute section. If the walk or drive is preshoveled (sacriledge I know) then it works "okay" sort of edging along and improving what has already been shoveled. (Basically embarrasing.) The poor thing hasn't been tuned up, oil changed or looked at unless it's snowing in probably 3 years as I figured the hours on it were pretty minimal. The last few major storms and the fact that it's nine years old, and I'm nine years older since I got it, have led me to deperately want a snow throwing, end of driveway clearing monster. Or, simply not to have my 724 be pathetic.

Does this sound like something a tune-up can remedy? Is it that difficult given good documentation or is just bringing it to the "man" the best course of action.

The sun is shining. For now.

Cheers,

Ben.
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
TheKneebiter

Re: Ariens 724 currently Pathetic
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2005 12:44 pm
if  the engine starts right up and roars i would say no to a tune up. if it was able to move snow when new and not now then i would say tighten up the belt or replace the belt.

rocketMan

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 12:50 pm
I'll give it a try. I honestly don't remember that it was ever a phenom at throwing snow. My neighbor's very beat up, very old blower always seemed to be way better in throwing the snow. Coming from a family where the lawnmower was electric I settled for what it could do.

I'll check the belt.

Ben.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 1:04 pm
Sounds most likely like a belt adjustment or drive engage cable adjustment issue to me.  It could also be a gummed up carb(but you don't mention if the engine falters under load or not), if you have left unstabalized fuel in the carb. Generally snow burbbling out of the chute and not being thrown is an auger engagement issue(either the belt, or cable or both are out of wack).  Now with that being said, I have to scold you....Shame on you!  Snow blowers ask VERY little of thier owners, who typically ask the world of them("hey can you please wake and move 5 tons of snow per minute RIGHT NOW, i really have to get to work....").  Every year you should pull and at least clean your spark plug, if not replace it.  Oil should be changed regularly, gas should be stabalized and kept fresh, and all grease/lube points should be addressed twice per season if not more, and belts should be checked at least at the season start for wear and adjustment.  I know that life can get busy and it's easy to lose track of such things, but look at how much you depend on your machine,  please unserstand that i'm not flaming you but you snowblower is a machine and it does need to be PM'd otherwise it will fail and you will be shoveling, regardless of how top end it is.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Highwind

Despite the high cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular.

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2005 1:10 pm
If what TheKneebiter says doesn't work, contact Dr Phil. He can find a shrink to talk to your machine and convince it that it has an unrealistic fear of snow, given its purpose in life. Maybe a few sessions on a shrink's work bench, then desensitization  therapy involving tossing a small amount of shredded styrofoam, building to an inch of fine ground sugar, then onto real snow of maybe an inch or two, followed by deeper and deeper amounts until it is again a tiger among the gazelles, rather than a fraidy cat.

Dr Highwind, BS

Honda stable: HS 724 snowblower;  HRS216 lawnmower; BF2 UWWW; 5 HP, 2200 psi/2.9 GPM pressure washer.

Electric: BV2500 B&D Leaf Hog/snow duster; old 12" Weedeater.

Emmo

Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 1:27 pm
Highwind wrote:
If what TheKneebiter says doesn't work, contact Dr Phil. He can find a shrink to talk to your machine and convince it that it has an unrealistic fear of snow, given its purpose in life. Maybe a few sessions on a shrink's work bench, then desensitization  therapy involving tossing a small amount of shredded styrofoam, building to an inch of fine ground sugar, then onto real snow of maybe an inch or two, followed by deeper and deeper amounts until it is again a tiger among the gazelles, rather than a fraidy cat.

Dr Highwind, BS

I'm sure that Dr. Phil is booked up, but I'm also sure our own Dr. Lint would be happy to help!(@$150/hour of course).

Lint has a way with these machines, gets in touch with their feminine(no  offense Paula!) side and bolsters their self esteem.  Dr. Lint has always been known as the kinder, gentler tech, a new age man for the new millenium.

BTW, if the engine is running smoothly, I'm betting its a belt or cable adjustment as well. Perhaps the lifelong uninspiring performance is due to it not being adjusted properly from the beginning?
rocketMan

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 1:44 pm
hahaha (correct digiTerm is LOL) you guys are too funny. And no, I don't take your scolding badly at all. An honest kick in the pants is cheerfully accepted. Lord knows it should happen to us more often:-)

So... I'll book a full spa session for my Ariens and perhaps a therapy session to make it understand it wants to inhale snow and project, not chew and dribble.

inhale/project: GOOD. chew/dribble: BAD

ben.
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #7   Jan 24, 2005 3:41 pm
LOL...... 

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Jan 24, 2005 5:15 pm
Lint's hourly fee may have become higher in the last few days. LOL 
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42