Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > This winter will be the last for my MTD snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tkrotchko

This winter will be the last for my MTD snowblower
Original Message   Feb 9, 2010 5:07 am
So I've had a 26" MTD track drive snowblower for about 14 years, and these past few snows have started knocking the thing apart.  I purchased the MTD for price, and I can say have I have no issues.  It's just that snowblowers take a beating and I'm at the point now where I'm fixing it too much in between snows. 

I have a very long driveway, with one short, steep hill, all paved.    Since I want this to be my last snowblower, I'm looking at the brands that I believe will simply work well.   My first thought is to get an attachment for the front of my tractor, but as this winter is unusual (I hope so), I think that may be clumsy and overkill.   I guess it comes down to that I believe I'd still need a hand blower even with the tractor.

I'm not sure if I want another track drive or not.  I have no issues with it, and I've finally gotten used to how to make it move in tight quarters, make it turn on a dime.  I like that you can hold onto it on the one or two steep hills.  But I think I could live without it.

So, I'm leaning heavily in favor of Ariens.  I like the all-steel construction, and they have a great reputation.  I'm thinking of something either in the prosumer or pro line.  I'd like something with at least a 30" clearing width.  I have experience with Honda portable generators and I consider they beautifully made, and so it makes me consider Honda seriously as well.   Their lineup seems smaller than Ariens, but all in all, I'd have to include them on my list.

I'm interested in folks recommendations here, keeping in mind that I want something that will be serviceable for a very long time.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
xmastruck

Re: This winter will be the last for my MTD snowblower
Reply #6   Feb 12, 2010 11:57 pm
i love the mtd tracked , no other snow blower has the dual turning control. mostely all just lock 1 wheel . i almost cryed when mine threw connecting rod this week during our 26in storm(2 days after 30in storm) .Tecumseh is out of bussness so it hard to find part,  the hondas (tracked) ive played with have the power needed and are 1/2 as lound ,and easier move around then ariens.  (dont trash your old one many of us that like our mtd would like parts and be will to pay for them..
tkrotchko

Reply #7   Feb 13, 2010 8:19 am
I'm not trashing it.  I have a bunch of spare parts in my parts box.  I'm going to lube it and replace a couple things on it and either sell it or give it to my sister and her husband who are retired and got snowed in real good.  By March our snow is done, so I'll probably spend a Saturday afternoon fixing it and selling.  People will still have snow fever, so they'll still be thinking snow.  The motor is strong, doesn't burn a drop of oil so that is not a concern.

As I read people trashing MTD, I don't quite get it.  I've had this snow blower since '96, and it has gone through 36" drifts and hard packed snow, Yeah, I've replaced a few things on it, but that's true of every piece of power equipment I own.  It's built like a tank.  The plastic chute has never give me any trouble (I don't like the manual deflector angle setting, but that's a nit).  And now that I've used track drive, I'm pretty convinced it was the right choice, although it took me a few years to get used to it.  So people who use it once or twice who say "it's clumsy", they don't get that once you get good at steering it, you can make the thing dance.

Since I've only ever used a track drive, I was surprised to learn this week that most of the wheeled blowers only turn one way, so I'll still look at how the Ariens differential works on their pro unit.  But I'm adding Toro to the mix because it appears it allows you to control wheels individually.  But I'll likely end up with a Honda as it comes closest to my "wants".

This message was modified Feb 13, 2010 by tkrotchko
Steve_Cebu

Reply #8   Feb 13, 2010 8:27 am
tkrotchko wrote:
Since I've only ever used a track drive, I was surprised to learn this week that most of the wheeled blowers only turn one way, so I'll still look at how the Ariens differential works on their pro unit.  But I'm adding Toro to the mix because it appears it allows you to control wheels individually.  But I'll likely end up with a Honda as it comes closest to my "wants".

Maybe most but Toro has dual steer so it will turn either left or right. Ariens and Simplicity only turn one way as you say, although I'm not sure why. The Toro is very easy to steer and will compare favorably to your tracked MTD with dual steer. I had a tracked Honda and gave it up for the Toro because of the steering and the awesome chute controls. Honda is quality but there is no steering on it at all so it's a bear to move around. The honda does have the really nive transmission and very easy to start. tracks are awesome but need dual steer. If they had dual steer I would have kept it. Because my wife would have been able to use it. The Toro is easy to move around when it's off just squeeze both triggers and it's easy but the Honda had to be used under power for everything.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
trouts2

Reply #9   Feb 13, 2010 9:58 am
xmastruck - Your track probably has an HMSK80 and takes a 35373A rod which is hard to find.  It's been superceded by 36897A which is available.  Check your crank journal which could be .1.1860 or 1.1865.
tkrotchko

Reply #10   Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am
You mean most track drives do not have dual steer?  That does change things considerably.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Feb 13, 2010 3:37 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
You mean most track drives do not have dual steer?  That does change things considerably.

Some might but I know for a fact that Honda doesn't, at least not until you spend $8,000+ and import it from Canada. I'm not sure about Ariens tracked models since the dealers here don't carry them. They say they have problems with the tracks.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
tkrotchko

Reply #12   Feb 13, 2010 3:52 pm
In any case, I plan to visit the dealers before I make a decision.  I want to try them out first.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Feb 14, 2010 12:18 am
tkrotchko wrote:
In any case, I plan to visit the dealers before I make a decision.  I want to try them out first.

That really is the best way. I know it swayed us. I hope you have the chance to try a Toro with the dual steering and their joystick chute controls. We really like ours and have videos up on YouTube. You really can't go wrong with any of the top brands.

snowmachine

Reply #14   Feb 14, 2010 3:55 am
They don't have a track model but you can get dual steer and a hydrostatic transmission on the Husqvarna models. The latter option being the higher end models.
tkrotchko

Reply #15   Feb 14, 2010 6:29 am
I hadn't considered a Husqvarna snow blower, and it turns out my hardware store about 5 miles up the road sells them ?????.  I've never seen them there.  I usually go over Sunday morning to get some supplies to fix "stuff".  I'll bet they're special order only.

In any event, yes, they have an interesting mix of dual steer & hydrostatic transmission.  It's interesting looking at their line that they use their own engines on their consumer line, but B&S on their high-end line, despite the fact that their own engine produces more torque.  And hey, grease zerks, weight bar, hand warmers.    I'll have to hunt around for opinions on them. 

Thanks for the tip.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42