Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with choosing an Ariens Snow Blower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hoffer

Help with choosing an Ariens Snow Blower
Original Message   Feb 10, 2010 3:01 pm
I am looking into buying my first snow blower but could really use some help. First off my driveway is about 22 feet wide by about 50 feet long. With our sidewalks here being almost 3ft wide. I am looking at cleaning my driveway a neighbor or twos, and the sidewalk on my street. Also since I live in a large neighborhood maybe plowing out various neighbors driveways for a little extra cash.

I am looking at primarily two different models right now and cannot decide and I am having some trouble deciding if some of the added features are worth the extra price.

First up is the Ariens Deluxe 27, for those of you that own this snow blower, what is the maneuverability like? How hard is the turning with this thing? Do you guys think this would be to big/overkill?

Secondly is the Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum, it’s a little smaller and costs more, but has automatic traction control, and hand warmers.

Which one do you guys thing is the better deal? My big question comes with turning and the traction control on the deluxe 24 platinum. Does is make the maneuverability that much better, and with the Deluxe 27 not having it, how hard is it to turn?  Are you able to have only one wheel move at a time on the 27 to help with turning? All help would be great and thanks for the help with some of these questions, which I am sure, are very dumb in advance.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Paul7

Re: Help with choosing an Ariens Snow Blower
Reply #1   Feb 10, 2010 6:03 pm
The Deluxe 27" has a remote axle lock/unlock lever.  It works as advertised and makes the machine very nimble.  However the automatic traction control on the Platinum 24 is hard to beat and allows the machine to turn easily in either direction.  There's other features on the Platinum 24 that would make me lean towards it over the Deluxe 27...like the design of the chute rotation control, the lack of a remote chute deflector control on the Deluxe 27, etc...
Steve_Cebu

Reply #2   Feb 10, 2010 6:34 pm
I know youa re only looking at Ariens but really you should also take a look at Toro. The swivel on the chute is so nice to use. Plus it has dual skid steer which makes it turn on a dime. I have a Toro 1028 and it's great. They also make an 826 which is really the same thing just a bit smaller. Try them out before you buy them. You can't go wrong with Ariens but neither can you go wrong with Toro.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
samdog

Reply #3   Feb 10, 2010 11:50 pm
I just worked through a similar decision. The Ariens Deluxe 27" was on my short list as well as the Toro 826 mentioned above.

The Ariens has the steering drive disconnecter which is nice, but these smaller machines aren't that hard to muscle around either.

The Toro 826 has no steering system but the joystick chute controller is fast and easy -- and it adjusts the deflector as well. With one hand, on the fly, you can set windage and elevation of the discharge. The moment the wind shifts you can change the throw faster even than the electric motor systems. The aforementioned lack of a remote deflector control on the Deluxe 27 is what eliminated it for me. It may not seem like a big deal until you are out there with snow flung back in your face or onto the neighbor's drive and you have to stop to set the deflector -- over and over.

Like you I also gave serious thought to the Deluxe 24 Platinum. The Auto Traction Control is nice and it has chute/deflector controls on the operator panel. Keep in mind the Deluxe 27 and the Platinum 24 both have the same engine. The extra width of the 27 may actually slow it down a little in the deep stuff and what's 3" anyway --  9.7 passes vs 11 passes on your 22' driveway.

My neighbor has handwarmers on his MTD and he doesn't use them because they're too hot. He has to wear heavy gloves to insulate from the handwarmers! (But maybe the Arien's are better.) At any rate I think a good pair of gloves make pretty good handwarmers too.

So if you are going Ariens I'd recommend the Platinum 24 -- the extra $$$ will be worth it. If you are going around the neighborhood consider the Platinum 30 as well -- 20 or 30 bucks a driveway will pay the difference!

Ultimately I went with the Toro 826 because it's simple and rugged with fewer systems to fail and hundreds less $$$ than the Platinum 24. Toro put the money in the throwing sytem and man it shows. I just used it in this record snowstorm and am completely satisfied with my choice. 

This message was modified Feb 11, 2010 by samdog
PSchoolen

Reply #4   Feb 11, 2010 12:21 am
I went through this in early January and made the choice for the Deluxe Platinum 24" and am very happy with it. The remote deflection is not as slick as the Toro but it works very very well and its all metal components. The Automatic traction control is amazing. Its just there and works perfect. You dont even have to think about it. We have been getting pounded with snow in Iowa and I look forward to going out and using this machine.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #5   Feb 11, 2010 7:56 am
I should have said the Toro 828OXE which does have the freewheel steering. Very easy to steer and has the quickchute as well. As far as plastic versus steel many newer plastics hold up extremely well in cold weather and tend to bind less than metal. Also the plastc chute seems to resist snow sticking to it. I know when I first looked at it and it seemed all wobbly that doesn't make you feel like it's a precision well oiled machine. But it works when you are outthere and it doesn't bind. my Honda was very precise with it's all steel ball gear but cranking it around wasn't any where near as fast as the Toro and the freewheel steering is so nice to use.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
bevans

tougher than the elements...everything in Wisconsin is

Reply #6   Feb 11, 2010 11:01 pm
I went through the sam thing in Dec. when we had 9"  of heavy wet snow. I looked at them all from Craftsman (MTD) , Troy built (chinese engines) Simpolicity and Snapper (both buit by Briggs & Stratten power group) and oh by the way that is who manufactures the John Deers. And finally the Ariens.

I got the Ariens 926037 PRO model. I paid $1,600 for it in December. It has everything on it. Cast Iron Gear box, true differential, a 1450 engine that throws snow, rock solid construction, and let's face it...when we buy a snowblower is going to last us 10 maybe 15...maybe 20 years. So if I pay $1,600 instead of $1,200 .......$400 more over 10 years is nothing. And at 50 years old I certainly am not going to retire early on that!!

Personally, I don't think any of them are bad when you strat talking in the $1200 plus range.

So you get what you pay for. Do your self a favor and get the best you can afford. My choice was the Ariens 26PRO.

Great throwing power 305cc (1450), true differential, heated grips, drift cutters, 16.5 wheels, quite muffler,and cast iron gear box....look it up. Try them out and make your own decision. 

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

hoffer

Reply #7   Feb 13, 2010 10:46 am
Thank you for all the advice! now I just need to go and look at all of these options in person.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42