Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bought the Toro 828LXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Bought the Toro 828LXE
Original Message   Jan 21, 2005 9:18 pm
The local dealer sold me the 828LXE for $1,249.   He assembled it for free and is shipping it for free to my house (about 10 minutes from the store) tomorrow by 11am (before the storm).  He kept the gas out of the machine after assembly so I could come by and make sure it was brand new and never used (sorry, I don't trust dealers until I've done business with them at least once - I've had more than one new car dealer try to sell me a car "just off the truck" with 150 miles on it).

I know I gave a bunch of you a tough time about the Craftsman, but if it wasn't for my persistence to get more detailed information out of you I would be blowing with a Craftsman tomorrow instead of the Toro.  I'll update this topic after the storm hits and I clear it with my new toy.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Replies: 11 - 20 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
coffeebreath

Re: Bought the Toro 828LXE
Reply #11   Jan 24, 2005 11:18 am
SnowRemover wrote:

I know I gave a bunch of you a tough time about the Craftsman, but if it wasn't for my persistence to get more detailed information out of you I would be blowing with a Craftsman tomorrow instead of the Toro.  I'll update this topic after the storm hits and I clear it with my new toy.

After all the crap you put down on this forum, and the negativity and animosity you created, do you really think that any of us truly GAF?
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #12   Jan 24, 2005 11:21 am
Glad to hear it is working for you. We didn't get as much as I'd expected at West Sand Lake, but it was fun finally getting more than 5". Does your Toro manual have the same "death or injury" warnings as the Ariens does?

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #13   Jan 24, 2005 11:30 am
No, the Toro manual says nothing about death or injury (other than "Shut off engine before servicing", but nothing about if you don't service it properly you can be injured as a result).  Is that just an ommission or due to differences in engineering?  I don't know.

And to my good buddy coffeebreath - yes people GAF, or else there wouldn't be any posts (including yours).

--Snow Remover

PS:  How many people have multiple personalities on this site so they can post stuff without using their normal posting name?  I find it highly impropable that a poster with only one other post would make a comment "After all the crap you put down on this forum" - as if they are a major contributor to the forum.  Reminds me of another double poster "Plugger".  Willing to make a bark, but not under his real name.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #14   Jan 24, 2005 11:56 am
I don't know the reason for the difference in warnings. They aren't going to prevent lawsuits, but they at least give the manufacturers some defense ammo if a consumer disregards them and gets injured.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #15   Jan 25, 2005 5:49 am
SnowRemover wrote:
No, the Toro manual says nothing about death or injury (other than "Shut off engine before servicing", but nothing about if you don't service it properly you can be injured as a result).  Is that just an ommission or due to differences in engineering?  I don't know Snow Remover, The Toro manual states page 1 under SAFETY "This snowthrower meets or exceeds the B71.3 specifications of the American National Standards Institute in effect at the time of production. Read and understand the contents of this manual before the engine is ever started. (symbol shown) This is the safety alert symbol. It is used to alert you to potential personal injury hazards. Obey all safety messages that follow this symbol to avoid possible injury or death. Improperly using or maintaining this snowthrower could result in injury or death. To reduce this potential, comply with the following safty instructions. The following instructions have been adapted from the ANSI/OPIE standard B71.3-1995 and the ISO 8437:1989 standard...Walt
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2005 5:52 am
Walt wrote:
No, the Toro manual says nothing about death or injury (other than "Shut off engine before servicing", but nothing about if you don't service it properly you can be injured as a result).  Is that just an ommission or due to differences in engineering?  I don't know

Snow Remover, The Toro manual states page 1 under SAFETY "This snowthrower meets or exceeds the B71.3 specifications of the American National Standards Institute in effect at the time of production. Read and understand the contents of this manual before the engine is ever started. (symbol shown) This is the safety alert symbol. It is used to alert you to potential personal injury hazards. Obey all safety messages that follow this symbol to avoid possible injury or death. Improperly using or maintaining this snowthrower could result in injury or death. To reduce this potential, comply with the following safty instructions. The following instructions have been adapted from the ANSI/OPIE standard B71.3-1995 and the ISO 8437:1989 standard...Walt
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #17   Jan 25, 2005 7:30 am
Congratulations on the Red and Black! At the risk of sounding like a know it all I would suggest the following:

1) Stabalize your fuel when you fill your gas can.

2)As Terminator said shut the gas valve after each use.

3)Run the engine till it quits after shutting the valve.This drains the fuel line. 

4)Check the bowl on your carb for a spring loaded pin which is the bowl drain. Place a rag on your finger to absorb the fuel and push up on the drain to empty the carb before putting your machine away at the end of the day.This MUST be done AFTER shutting off the fuel valve.

5)At the end of the season drain the tank and empty your left over gas into your car.

If you hang out on this forum long enough you will find that 99% of the no start problems with snow blowers are fuel related.The gas we get today deteriorates quickly,our engines have no air filters because they would become clogged with ice/snow crystals.The fuel has 10% alcohol which absorbs the moisture through the air intake and wreaks havoc with our carbs.

Some people don't trust OPE dealers,I don't trust today's garbage gas!  

Got to go now ,I have a date to remove a can of belt dressing from my pulley system but that's another story!

Good luck with your new machine,

Marc 

This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #18   Jan 25, 2005 11:38 am
SnowRemover wrote:

PS:  How many people have multiple personalities on this site so they can post stuff without using their normal posting name?  I find it highly impropable that a poster with only one other post would make a comment "After all the crap you put down on this forum" - as if they are a major contributor to the forum.  Reminds me of another double poster "Plugger".  Willing to make a bark, but not under his real name.

Multiple accounts are not allowed here.  If it is discovered (and we have the ablilty to know trust me), we will ban both users and the computer ISP addresses.  This is damaging to a forum as I have mentioned in the past.  If you don't feel comfortable posting under your name then you should not be making the post at all.  I have a zero tolerance to this but I and the other mods have allowed a "one last chance" policy once it is discovered but we discuss it first and decide based upon the second accounts posts and your original accounts posts.  That said from then on you are monitored closely with a very short leash and if you blink the wrong way you will be history here and there is no further discussion amongst the moderators regarding this.....

I have seen incredible amounts of damage done to other forums due to this and it will not be allowed here.... 

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #19   Jan 25, 2005 12:11 pm
mml4 wrote:
1) Stabalize your fuel when you fill your gas can.

I assume you're speaking of a fuel additive?  If so, how much should I add since the bottles usually say "Add to a tankful of gas" which in the case of a car is 13 gallons or more, but less than 3 gallons for the snow blower.

Thanks.
This message was modified Jan 25, 2005 by SnowRemover

--Friedrich Nietzsche
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #20   Jan 25, 2005 12:16 pm
It is written on the bottle of Stabil of how many ounces to add per gallon, I think it is one to one but again the bottle explains it, if you put it in prior to filling your tank when you fill up it really mixes well....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 11 - 20 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42