Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > bel;ts slipping ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jett

bel;ts slipping ?
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 11:06 am
I have a 10hp 28" MTD model 660 2 stage blower w/ aTec Sno King motor. This unit has seen only two winters. The problems I'm experiencing is with the unit not throwing snow worth a dam ,until the auger and impeller has been running at least one pass up the drive (50 yards.) The motor runs strong and fine. The wheel engagement was sluggish yesterday as well. Could this be a simple case of needing to replace the belts. It would seem that once the belts warm up it works fine. Any and all comments are welcomed.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Majorxlr8n

Re: bel;ts slipping ?
Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 11:20 am
Jonathan pegged it - tighten up the drive & auger belts. Chances are they were never rechecked after initial operation & only need a simple adjustment. Your owner's manual should clearly spell out how to do this.

Marty

jett

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 11:25 am
Will do, you guys are not only fast in replying but effecient. Thanks a bunch. AGGHHHHH it's snowing outside as we speak. Will winter ever end?
jett

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2005 12:32 pm
Checked the owners manual and not a word about adjusting belt tension other than cable tension. Been their done that. The manual states you have to seperate the engine from the blower assembly to replace the belts. What a pain in the -ss. I hope thier all not designed this bad. Who ever designed it that way should be shot and -issed on. There has to be a better way.
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 2:00 pm
jett--
    you don't need to replace the belts, you just need to adjust the idler's that push on them to increase the pressure they exert on the engine.  Let's take the auger engage.  A typical setup is a cable that runs to a mount on the back of the machine that pulls against a lever connected to a shaft with an idler pulley on the end of it.  The resulting shaft movement mashes the pulley onto the belt tightening it up causing it to catch on the implement pulley casuing the transfer of motion.  There should be a bolt with a bushing/bearing assembly at the center of the idler pully holding it to the bracket.  I've seen some brackets that have multiple holes in them and moving the bolt/pulley to an inside hole ups the tension(for as the belt wears) and towards the outside results in less(for when you get a new un worn belt).  Most machines these days i think have the pulley/bolt resting in a groove.  Simply loosening the bolt will allow you to slide the pulley in closer to up the tension.  Be careful not to go too far or your auger will never stop spinning.  Popular theory is that you should be able to move(or deflect) the belt an inch or less when the auger drive is engaged.  To check it hold the drive engage down and push on the belt with your finger(engine stopped, of course!)  it should move less than an inch.  The belts on mtd's(based on what i've seen on the shelf at stores) tend to be on the narrow side, so I could see how they could be prone to stretching if they got wet, or overly hot for some reason.  good luck let us know how you make out

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
jett

Reply #6   Jan 26, 2005 4:20 pm
Thanks for the info. The blower maint is put on hold. Got my Warn winch back from repairs and the atv will be clearing the snow until I can wrench the blower.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #7   Jan 26, 2005 4:28 pm
Hi Jett,

Hopefully its just an adjustment as the others suggest it may be.  It appears your snowblower is similar to the Husqvarna models as I remember.  In order to change the belts, the machine had to be separated into two parts, just as you mention for yours.  It's not a quick job but if you find you have to go that route, I'd have someone at least help you to separate the machine.  Once the last of the bolts are removed, the handlebars or something can fall backwards or towards you. 

Richie
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #8   Jan 26, 2005 5:54 pm
Last time my belt slipped was because I lost 10 pounds...

All I had to do was eat more to get 'er tightened back up !

Actually... I'm I kinda' skinny guy... so i got a new belt...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Jan 26, 2005 8:53 pm
the belt adjustment on this MTD is actually up by the handle bar.

you will notice a ferrule and a nut on the cable where it attaches to the lever.loosen the nut and then spin up the ferrule.

you may have to make a few adjustments to get it just right.

there is also the same adjustment for the friction disc.

just dont go to far or the belts will snap,2 3/8 for the impeller an 1 for the drive.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Boston_Rob

Reply #10   Jan 26, 2005 9:48 pm
Chris- Your experience has truely been missed for a long time.  Glad to see you back!

Boston_Rob

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #11   Jan 27, 2005 12:55 am
On my Ariens it says I need to tip the unit apart between the frame and auger housing.

I wonder if Jubol's snowthrower is designed the same way?  If so Jubol, do you have any plans on changing that like you did your oil valve?  Would love to see picture of this process.

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42