Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Boy, i wish there was some more snow..... :)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Boy, i wish there was some more snow..... :)
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 11:00 am
What a fun weekend!!!

Fri night-
Had a few inches of fluff, decided to fire up the ole girl and do some blowin.  So i did.  I'm about 60 seconds into it, and the blower just dies(like it ran out of gas)  I know it has gas (i always leave it with a full tank) so i try and restart it.  No go, keep trying still no go.  I've pulled it about 10 times, my shoulder is starting to ache(arthritis), so i plug in the electric start.  Still no go.  Prime it 2x, 1/2 choke, full throttle.  still no start.  Ok, let's look for spark.  Hmm, no spark, but the light glows as I crank it, so I know at least the "generator" system is making juice.....  So i sit there a bit looking at the thing, and something doesn't look right.  Clearly the trouble is in the ignition system somewhere, but where?  So i start thinking about pulling covers, checking wires, etc.  Then i notice that there's this 1/8" wide x 1/4" high slot to the left of the choke, that looks like it's missing something.  I stand up and start to walk into the garage to ponder it a bit, and out of the corner of my eye i catch a glimpse of something red laying on the walk.  Huh, lookit that, it's the ignition "key"(ya know, the thing you NEVER take out of your machine?)  I must have knocked it loose when i was cleaning the blower after the last use and it fell out when i was blowin.  Turns out a blower will stall if that bugger isn't in there.  I think i'll install a switch this summer....

Sat night-
Wife and i stayed in all day watchin flicks.  Go out bout 8pm- got around 8-10" EOD is bout 1.5 feet.  The orange monster just ate that up.  Helped out a neighbor with his eod who said he'd been out shovelin for an hour.  I tell him to go in and ill finish up, so I do.  Then i go in the back, cut some trails for dog, clear the deck, and go inside.  As always, i can pick my gear and keep it in "3rd" and "4th" and happily plod along.  took about 45 min

Sun morning--
YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!  This is what i'm talkin about.  Got a solid foot and a half for half the drive and almost 3 feet for the other half(plow in)  This time(first time ever) i can't "pick my gear" 2nd would work but the engine was really loaded, so i did it(the 3 foot part) in first, and I got an easy 50' throw.  I tied a piece of fishing line to the key and tied it to the handle bar so if the key falls out i won't lose it.  I do my drive, a neighbors(who use to own an mtd- sold it and is saving to buy a nicer machine) cut paths for the dog, clear the deck, and rake the roof and blow that.  I swear i got a 60' throw a couple times.  There were times where the snow was anywhere from 2-8" over the intake height of the machine, and it just kept goin(i have both wheels locked) My wife has always felt that I "over bought" by buying the 824, until yesterday when she looked out the window and saw that 30' high 50' long arc.  That machine opened up a big ole can of orange whoop-butt on that stuff, and was with me pace for pace for every minute of the two straight hours I was using it.  When I cleaned it off and brought it into the garage, both it and I were actually steaming.  It was alot of fun, I can only imagine how much fun Frank had this weekend.  My all columbia gear kept me totally dry and toasty warm the whole time.  SO much so in fact that when I was done, i played with the dog in the backyard for 30 min.  whatta great day- all because of a snow blower.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Re: Boy, i wish there was some more snow..... :)
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2005 11:30 am
Sounds like you had "fun"...   !  

Good idea tying the key...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

solara

Reply #2   Jan 24, 2005 11:46 am
a working snow blower just totally chanhes your look out on life.

2004-2005 Ariens 11528LE
Jacobsen snow-burst
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #3   Jan 24, 2005 6:03 pm
That was a very good detailed story.  I really enjoyed it.  Ariens Sno-Thro do make life easier.  You just keep moving along. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

navihawk

Reply #4   Jan 24, 2005 7:03 pm
fired mine up today to get some sidewald action.
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 8:12 pm
As ive advised before, if you ever loose that red plastic " Key", a popsicle stick shaved down a hair works great in a pinch. All your doing is breaking a mechanical contact that shorts the ignition system.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 8:13 pm
I love snow when I don't have to work lol....

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Emmo

Reply #7   Jan 24, 2005 8:21 pm
MountainMan wrote:
As ive advised before, if you ever loose that red plastic " Key", a popsicle stick shaved down a hair works great in a pinch. All your doing is breaking a mechanical contact that shorts the ignition system.

I've also used one of those fake "credit cards" that Discover and a thousand other credit card companies seem to send me everyday. (You know, those dummy cards that are attached to a credit card application).

I just cut it down to the width of the key slot. 
This message was modified Jan 24, 2005 by Emmo
Termy

Reply #8   Jan 24, 2005 9:24 pm
With Global Warming going around, and El Nuiono, you never really know what will happen. For all we know, we may get hit with 10 inches of snow next week, or it will get warmer, I don't know. You will just have to wait and see.

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #9   Jan 24, 2005 11:42 pm
Well, Terminator what ever you do, keep those mowers ready

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Reply #10   Jan 31, 2005 5:51 pm
Chris,
Thanks for sharing what I missed..........
That was a great story.........glad it was only a key problem, and I'm glad you found it......you could have easily blown it 50' down the road, where the plow would have taken it.

I "cleaned it up a bit" today, but my son had most of the fun while we were gone.
I'm sure there will be more for us.....

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42