Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro Power Shift will not shift

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Toro Power Shift will not shift
Original Message   Feb 8, 2010 7:16 pm
Posted for Swampthing:

I have a toro 824 power shift and have had it for many years.  I fired it up Friday night and drove it into position at the end of my driveway, put it into neutral and covered it up for the night.  The next day, I started it but could not get the shifter lever to move from neutral to any gear.  This is kind of vague, I know, but do you have any suggestions as to where to start looking?  Thanks for your help.  My shoulders are still hurting from the manual snow throwing and we are expecting more snow on tuesday.

1. What is the model number?  I think the gearboxes are all the same through the series of Power Shifters but not positive.

2. Does the gearbox have lub?

3. The linkages or gearbox could be frozen.  You might try bringing it into the garage where it may be warmer.

4. You could check the external linkages in the dash area and below to the outside of the tractor section.   Insure they are moving properly along with the tractor linkage assembly and control box also.  Get the service manual and parts breakdown online at the Toro site and go through these:

Power shift controls

Tractor linkage assembly

Control box. 

If it not frozen and the three above then you probably have a "real" problem that could be in the gearbox.  If its in the gearbox it's usually the end of the line.

5. Stand the machine on it's bucker (gas off) and open the 4 bolts to the bottom pan and look around.  See what's supposed to move and make sure it does or why it can't. 

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42