Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > need help with the gears on my snowblower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jgreen

need help with the gears on my snowblower.
Original Message   Jan 24, 2005 9:39 am
I ran into a problem while giving my snowblower a real workout here in MA.    After about an hour or so   the 1st gear and slow reverse lost most power  .the wheels would barely move!.   If I used any other of the 5 gears they worked fine  also fast reverse worked OK. 

the snowblower is a 1980 yardman with the 5hp tecumseh snowking.    it uses a friction disc type drive sytem. 

thanks for your help

John
Scotts 21" self propelled  mower
MTD  4.5 HP single stage snow thrower
Snapper 3 HP single stage snow thrower
Yardman 5HP two stage snowblower
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Re: need help with the gears on my snowblower.
Reply #1   Jan 24, 2005 12:06 pm
Is the gear shift lever adjusted as per the instruction manual? Have you checked the disk for grease or oil? I'm wondering if that's the problem; part of disk could be oily or greasy.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
jgreen

Reply #2   Jan 25, 2005 12:19 pm
Ii did have it adjusted  correctly before the storm.  I will recheck that.     .    Perhaps you are right about some grease or oil on the disc.    i check that too.

thanks

John
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #3   Jan 25, 2005 1:21 pm
sounds to me like either your disc got wet, had a lube of some sort on it, or is wearing out.  Prior to my r3 upgrade when my disc wore out "gears" 1,2 and sometimes 3 wouldn't work at all, but 4,5, & 6 worked as did both reverses.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
jgreen

Reply #4   Jan 25, 2005 4:17 pm
Hmmm   a wet disc is very possible.   The drifts were well over the top of the blower and kept colapsing on top of the motor.  this melted snow may have got onto the disc. ???

would that cause only some speeds not to work .  I would think they would all not work???   but i am not sure.

As far as the disc being worn out, How long do they last?? can they be adjusted or do they have to be replaced every few storms???  I got this machine used and the friction disc looked like the only brand new part on the machine!   what do they look like when they are worn out?

thanks

John
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #5   Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm
friction disc on your machine has about 3/16 inch of rubber on a steel ring.

if worn to less than 1/8 performance will suffer.

a quick check is to put it in the gear it slips in and then squeeze the engagement lever ,if it dosent move then try giving the cable that the lever operates a little tug while the lever is depressed.

if the machine moves then you may just have to adjust it.

on your machine i beleive there is a spring at the bottom of the cable.you will have to remove the cable from the lever at the top then slide the cable back through the spring and there will be an adjustment nut inside the spring on the cable.just go a turn or 2 at a time.you dont want to over do it or you will wear out the friction wheel to soon.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Termy

Reply #6   Jan 25, 2005 5:37 pm
I would have to agree with them. Your disk is either wet, or ben worn, or is already worn out.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42