Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD, locked up, auger won't spin

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tiltonm10

MTD, locked up, auger won't spin
Original Message   Jan 27, 2010 9:29 pm
Hello All,
First time on here.  I have an older MTD and I pulled it out to use it the other day and it started up just fine.  It was used a couple weeks ago.  When I pulled the lever to engage the auger, the engine died and it would not start back up.  The pull cord is hard to pull and the auger won't turn by hand.  Any ideas?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
This message was modified Jan 27, 2010 by tiltonm10
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tiltonm10

Re: MTD, locked up, auger won't spin
Reply #3   Jan 28, 2010 9:41 am
I took the rubber piece out, that seems to be what was stopping it from starting before. It was too narrow of a piece to part of a belt though.   Where is the shearing pin located?  I suppose it would be useful if i had a manual.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2010 by tiltonm10
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: MTD, locked up, auger won't spin
Reply #4   Jan 29, 2010 7:54 am
tiltonm10 wrote:
I took the rubber piece out, that seems to be what was stopping it from starting before. It was too narrow of a piece to part of a belt though.   Where is the shearing pin located?  I suppose it would be useful if i had a manual.

Shear pins (bolts) if they are present will be  found passing through the tube the auger rakes are welded to. CAUTION!!! They may look like common hardware but they are not. They are designed to protect your gearbox and engineered to break at a certain stress. Do not replace them with anything but the specific shear pin (bolt) required for your machine. 

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 3 - 4 of 4Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42