Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The "gnashing" noise is still there

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

The "gnashing" noise is still there
Original Message   Jan 23, 2005 9:57 pm
I have adjusted the auger belt on my twostage blower according to the manual by subtracting the distance of the relaxed spring from that of the spring extended when the auger handle is fully depressed. I have gone over this many times and am sure of two things :

1)It is adjusted to spec correctly as shown in my manual

2)There is too much play in the belt

I realize that there is a difference between machines but if you were to depress the auger handle all the way and push the belt with your finger from the side about how much play should there be? My manual does not give that measurement. It only gives the spring length differential. I have determined by running the machine with the belt cover off that there is way too much play  in the belt and that under load the belt vibrates excessively causing a gnashing sound which is caused  partially by the screech from the belt slipping combined with the belt bouncing off the spring steel belt guard.  

I know that when you set the tension on a fan belt in a car the spec called for a certain distance when you pushed on  the belt with your finger. The belt on my blower has about 2 inches of play when the auger is depressed. This appears to be too much. My machine is a preMTD TroyBilt model #42010. It has only been in service for one season and the noise is getting progessively worse.The noise is present for a moment when you engage the auger and then is constant if you load the auger fully as when doing the eod.

The machine throws snow like a champ but the noise is driving me nuts,

Marc

This message was modified Jan 23, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Termy

Re: The "gnashing" noise is still there
Reply #1   Jan 23, 2005 10:00 pm
Sounds to me like you need to buy a shorter belt to put on there.

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2005 10:11 pm
The belt has the correct part # from the manufacturer. I can take the slack out of the belt but by doing so there would be a certain ammount of tension on  the pulleys. I need to know about how much belt play is OK when the the auger handle is depressed. I have a spare belt but it is not significantly shorter than the one that is in there now. I hope someone knows approximately how much play is appropriate.

Thanks,

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Termy

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2005 10:16 pm
On mowers, a 1/2 inch of play after engaging the belt drive(PTO) is good enough. But you have a snow blower, I am not sure if it is the same. I would imagine it would be.

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2005 10:59 pm
Thanks Terminator- I will start with 1/2 inch . If anyone has any other suggestions please post!

Marc

spottedpony

Reply #5   Jan 24, 2005 12:09 am
why not tighten the belt adjustment a little at a time until the belt quits making noise?  cnecking for proper operation in both engaged and disengaged position,

a little ivory bar soap rubbed on the bearing surfaces of the belt makes a good belt conditioner too, it does as much good as more expensive belt dressings

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #6   Jan 24, 2005 9:37 am
2" of belt deflection when engaged? wow.  That's looser than a.....i better not finish that statement   With the auger drive engaged, your deflection should be around an inch or so(at least that's about where mine is...).  Adjust it so that the auger spins lightly when the drive is not engaged(which is dangerous, but do it just to help you find the "sweet spot"), then back off adding about 1/8"- 3/8" of deflection.  I don't know why they would tell you to measure spring length, springs can stretch over time .  Let us know how you make out.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
navihawk

Reply #7   Jan 24, 2005 5:15 pm
The belt is loose.When its engaged it feels loose too.I think what you feel is the spring tension.Is the engage pully bouncing back and forth when you push on the belt?That screach is probably the disk hitting the plate.Everythings probably OK,MM.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42