Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lubrication, chains, sprays and belt dressings

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Lubrication, chains, sprays and belt dressings
Original Message   Jan 17, 2005 11:00 pm
Many  questions here about a new Ariens 8526 snowblower bundled into one posting:

1)  Any adverse effect of using a spray belt dressing on the auger belt?   Squeals a bit while engaging.

2)  Changing oil from dino to synthetic.  Have done the two hour break in with the oil it came with.  Do I need to change the synthetic oil again shortly after putting it in to insure it's all synthetic, or does that not matter?  Also, what grade to use in a machine stored in an unheated Boston shed?

3)  Tires, I'm told, are supposed to really aggressive in snow.  I found them to slip and attract a layer of snow.  Would tire chains help?

4)  Lastly, what spray is good to prevent chutes from collecting slush and snow?  Heard Pam works - never tried.
This message was modified Jan 24, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TomVT

Re: Lubrication, chains and sprays
Reply #11   Jan 23, 2005 9:37 pm
I have the "Hogs" on my Toro, never had a slip. Even goes up my deck stairs in reverse with no problem.
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: Lubrication, chains and sprays
Reply #12   Jan 23, 2005 10:28 pm
Hi Newt,

Synthetics such as Mobil One are fully compatible with dino oil, so you have nothing to worry about.  I just did the 2 hour service on my new machine the other day as well.  I warmed it up and then drained the oil out.  You're only talking about a quart or less of oil.  If it really concerns you in any way, you can always do another oil change after using it for a few hours. 

Richie
Replies: 11 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42