Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Auger continually runs and drive traction cable will not lock

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
scrocker

Auger continually runs and drive traction cable will not lock
Original Message   Jan 20, 2010 8:14 am
I replaced the gear worm, reinstalled (with much headache) the auger but now when I engage the auger clutch, the auger continues to run once I disengage the clutch.  Additionally, the clutch for the traction drive does not lock the auger clutch.  Any ideas on how to get the auger to run only when engaged and get the drive clutch to lock the auger clutch?  Could it be the pawl and cam locks?
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Auger continually runs and drive traction cable will not lock
Reply #2   Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm
What is the make and factory model number? There should be a tag or plate on the back base of the machine
scrocker

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2010 6:49 am
Borat, I did loosen the clutch engagement adjustment and that did not help.  Any ideas on how the cam and pawl lock works?  I can't find a good illustration anywhere on the internet

Trout2, it is a MTD model 31AE643F131.

Thanks you guys for your response.  I thought the gear worm was difficult, this is frustrating me!!

trouts2

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2010 11:53 am

For the auger rotation you may have to also back off the belt tensioner which you probably have done.  

For the belts to be tendioned enough to rotate the augers the tensioner arm has to be forward enough.  If staying forward that much then look in tensioner area and below by the brakepad to see if something is pushing the arm into the belt.  There's not much there.  Swing the arm back and forth to see if it has the travel to tension and relax the belts. 

The cable may be pinched holding the tensioner arm into the belts.  It can catch under the small plastic white pulley at the front side of the tractor by the bucket.  

It could be the auger cable is being held in tension by the locking problem.   Squaring away the auger locking issue may solve the rotation. 

The auger locking mechanism consists of rods and catches under the plastic cover on the dash.  Too much to describe but pop-off the cover and the issue will be straight forward.  When you press the auger clutch it rotates the cam and pawl so it can be locked down with the press of the drive clutch.  There is no rocket science to describe.  The hard part will be getting the cover off.

This message was modified Jan 21, 2010 by trouts2
scrocker

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2010 12:17 pm
Thanks Trouts2.  Shall follow your instructions and hope it works.
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42