Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 724 no spark

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mingom

Toro 724 no spark
Original Message   Jan 11, 2010 8:45 pm
Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I had a quick question on my Toro 724 Snowblower (Model 38050).  I am not getting any spark, and cannot figure out why.  I think I have a broken wire, but am not sure where it goes to.  It has a matching wire in the same wire connector.  It starts on the left hand side (from controls pov) and goes towards the magneto (at least the one that's still connected)  The one that is broken is exactly the same gage and color (yellow).  Any ideas on where it might go to?  Or why I'm not getting spark?

Thanks,
Matt
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Toro 724 no spark
Reply #1   Jan 12, 2010 9:16 am

The 724 38050 was made for 10 years with minor changes but the wiring stayed the same I believe.  The diagram below is from the middle years.

In the center of the engine picture below the carb heater box is a square tab that has two wires running from it.  I think the interlocks and on/off switch connect there.  Also there is ground and a wire that runs under the cowling to the coil.  

If this is a machine you just picked then you may not know the interlocks on the dash and on/off have to be in the right position to start, get spark.

You may have bad points, coil, condenser or a wiring problem. 

You can do a quick test for spark by removing the wire running from behind the cowling to the tab.  That wire runs from the coil and is what connects the coil to ground by the interlocks or on/off switch.  You’ll be bypassing any wiring problem.

That wire may be grounded behind the cowling from hitting the flywheel but that’s pretty rare.  You can check it to ground with an ohmmeter.

If you can’t get spark with the wire from the cowling removed then you probably have a points or condenser problem.  Coils do go but generally last forever.

If you can start with the cowling wire removed then the wire that is broken may be touching ground.  You can look under the dash at the interlock switching and follow the wires to the tab.  I think there is also a wire from one or both clutck levers.   You can troubleshoot with an ohmmeter or by removing wires from the tab so see who's causing the grounding.  The microswitches on the shifter are sometimes a problem.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42