Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Late '70s Ariens 924038: Funky tractor drive

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
abundell

Late '70s Ariens 924038: Funky tractor drive
Original Message   Dec 21, 2009 6:10 pm
I did some work a week or so ago (successfully) refurbishing the brake and replacing belts, and now a new problem has popped up. Engine runs fine and impeller/augers work fine. The tractor drive is temperamental. At first, the machine just wouldn't move even when in gear. I managed to sometimes get it going, but then it would stop for no reason. It was like the drive wheels froze up. So I wiggled it and sorta lifted up the handles when it stopped and dropped it from a few inches. and that got it going. Best way to describe it is to say it was like the drive wheels bound up and then bouncing the machine unstuck them. I leaned the machine up on the box and tried the adjustment in the manual... put it in neutral, and spin the wheels while tightening the adjustment nut and then back it off when it binds. Except that even in neutral, the wheels didn't spin freely. They seemed to bind up after hand turning them a revolution or two. And the wheels never felt smooth turning, kind of luck a cranky wheel bearing feel. Anyway, I tightened the nut and it definitely runs better. What I don't know is if there's something else I ought to do or if the wheels should turn smoothly. I have looked at the owners manual and the service manual and the problem is they basically say to take things apart, check for wear, and replace, blah, blah, blah. But they don't give any troubleshooting or symptoms. Is there any place I can read about troubleshooting/symptoms? I don't want to start tearing things apart if all I have to do is turn an adjustment nut. By the same token, if there's something wrong, I'd like to fix it. Thanks!
Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
toolmantr

Re: Late '70s Ariens 924038: Funky tractor drive
Reply #5   Jan 8, 2010 11:27 am
Just an update.  I replaced the axle bushings and everything runs great now.  $6.00 total for the bushings and about an hour of work.
kdez

Re: Late '70s Ariens 924038: Funky tractor drive
Reply #6   Jan 8, 2010 7:47 pm
if needed in the future. . .here is a link to the repair manual

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/RM-924-1983.pdf

Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42