Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
thorn

Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front
Original Message   Dec 11, 2009 10:19 pm
I just used my 1350 for the first time (bought used about a month ago, but only a year old)... 944.527394 (well the model doesn't show up, but that's the right number - it's a 27 inch OHV B&S 1350 series 305 cc machine) It snowed about 5 inches of snow a couple of days ago and of course I had to deal with the snowplow "droppings" at the end of the driveway. It went through it all pretty good. Good shooting of the snow and no problems with things when I was blowing the snow. I come out to the garage the next morning and I thought 5 or 6 dogs took a leak on my garage door from the pool of yellow liquid I saw. I open up the garage door and see this pool of yellow liquid under the front of the blower and going out and under the garage door. Question, would this be the auger gear oil? It says it takes Ronex ED #1 (Extra Duty) and I think it is yellow in colour, but wow that just baffles me as to how much was there. After that there seemed to be some light green liquid there too. Maybe the other guy coated it with something, but I'm afraid to start the blower for fear of destroying the auger casing. No gas smell and the oil level is perfect at the fill level... Before I start taking things apart, I'd appreciate some input as to what this likely is and what I need to do (new auger gearcase maybe, new auger gasket,) Also good place to get parts in Canada? I see that these are Husky machines, but not sure if Craftsman parts are cheaper than Husky or not. good info in these threads so hoping borat or snowmachine can chime in http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32378-A-1.html http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/33989-0-1.html Cheers
Replies: 32 - 41 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
thorn

Re: Craftsman 1350 Series - Leaking something yellow under the front
Reply #32   Jan 7, 2010 11:52 pm
snowmachine wrote:
I need to check mine next time at cabin since there is still some slop but significantly less with the bearings. Do you think the auger shaft might be slightly undersized for the auger/rake assembly and as it spins it mildly shifts on the shear pin? As shear pins are offset on each side it causes a mild sloppy rocking? Just a thought

thanks sm, I'll check the shearpins. Perhaps they're super loose or something. The impeller shear pins were fine when I took it apart, but I did not check the auger shear pins. Maybe this has been like this since I bought it, but did not notice until the gear oil leaked out to start all of this... Cheers
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #33   Jan 8, 2010 12:17 am
thorn wrote:
Also all other brands (saw some John Deere's at Lowe's this weekend and they have a rod bracket) seem to be using a bracket on their snow machines so there must be an inherent flaw in the design. Cheers

Thorn I seem to disagree with your statement. The blowers that have a bracket are usually the more powerful / larger machines with a wide bucket and therefore need to support the gear case a bit. Its not that they have up and down play but rather to keep auger shafts inline under stressful conditions and to avoid damaging the internals of the gear case.

hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #34   Jan 8, 2010 12:26 am
thorn wrote:
thanks sm, I'll check the shearpins. The impeller shear pins were fine when I took it apart, Cheers

The impeller shear pins were fine when I took it apart. ???????????? Have not seen those. Am I missing something ????

thorn

Reply #35   Jan 8, 2010 1:43 am
hirschallan wrote:
Thorn I seem to disagree with your statement. The blowers that have a bracket are usually the more powerful / larger machines with a wide bucket and therefore need to support the gear case a bit. Its not that they have up and down play but rather to keep auger shafts inline under stressful conditions and to avoid damaging the internals of the gear case.

This is a JD 28" wide blower with a support. Same size engine (13.5 B&S) as mine with only an inch wider casing. http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/product/productlargerview/HO_LP1695441_LargerView.html http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets.ProdCatProduct?pNbr=LP1695441&tM=HO&link=enav# I do understand what you're saying and what it seems like that my problem is actually the internals of the gear box assy were damaged because of not having a bracket in place. I removed the shearpin bolts off right at the very beginning to see if I could pull of the auger shaft, but then realized that I needed to pull the impeller bearing assy off to get the whole thing out.
This message was modified Jan 8, 2010 by thorn
thorn

Reply #36   Jan 8, 2010 1:55 am
The impeller hub shear bolts are called Capscrews as well They go right into the impeller hub 1/4-20 x 1 5/8 - 2 of them. part number in my manual is 74780426
snowmachine

Reply #37   Jan 8, 2010 8:56 am
hirschallan wrote:
The impeller shear pins were fine when I took it apart. ???????????? Have not seen those. Am I missing something ????

#10 in this picture

This message was modified Jan 8, 2010 by snowmachine
thorn

Reply #38   Jan 9, 2010 9:54 pm
Ok, went into the Husky repair guy and both of us had a look at their existing used ones they had. Many of them had the same amount of play I did on mine. He said it was actually normal for them to have some play after they were used for a while. So that means to me that the only thing that could be wrong that started all of this is that my gearbox assy gasket went... So thanks for everyone's help. Knee-biter has an extra bracket that I am going to buy from him since it will cause some more peace of mind and I ordered a gasket from the Husky guy for $4... The Husky guy said he didn't want to sell me the $50CDN bearing kit as it might not solve my problem and really not necessary. After looking at similar snowblowers I can see that it would likely be a waste... Thanks again for everyone's help with this... guess I was just way too worried about the assy. I will keep an eye on things, but for now I will go back to just using the thing :) CHeers
snowmachine

Reply #39   Jan 10, 2010 7:08 pm
Were these used Husky's both bushing & bearing models? thorn wrote:
Ok, went into the Husky repair guy and both of us had a look at their existing used ones they had. Many of them had the same amount of play I did on mine. He said it was actually normal for them to have some play after they were used for a while. So that means to me that the only thing that could be wrong that started all of this is that my gearbox assy gasket went... So thanks for everyone's help. Knee-biter has an extra bracket that I am going to buy from him since it will cause some more peace of mind and I ordered a gasket from the Husky guy for $4... The Husky guy said he didn't want to sell me the $50CDN bearing kit as it might not solve my problem and really not necessary. After looking at similar snowblowers I can see that it would likely be a waste... Thanks again for everyone's help with this... guess I was just way too worried about the assy. I will keep an eye on things, but for now I will go back to just using the thing :) CHeers
thorn

Reply #40   Jan 10, 2010 11:29 pm
good question, no they weren't which may mean the newer ones don't have the same slop because the bearings are fixing them :)
snowmachine

Reply #41   Jan 11, 2010 5:29 pm
I think a majority of the 2008/2009 Husky lineup had bearings...aside from the lower end homeowner models. 2008/2009 lineup here

http://www.heavydutyturf.com/husqy/2008SnowBrochure_Consumer.pdf

There was some transition in 2007 since I saw a thread here about someone going to HD to buy a Husky and those models having bushings versus bearings. They contacted Husky and were told the product line was in transition. This was early 2007 IIRC. I will "safely" take a video next weekend when I goto my cabin of my auger in motion. You can then compare if it is better or worse than what you currently have. thorn wrote:

good question, no they weren't which may mean the newer ones don't have the same slop because the bearings are fixing them :)

Message #9 in this old thread talks about it---> http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/20732-0-1.html

Even low end 924SB has them for 2009/2010 even though representative picture shows bushing models.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/products/snow-throwers/compare-snow-throwers/

This message was modified Jan 11, 2010 by snowmachine
Replies: 32 - 41 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42