Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How to use a vibra tach or sirometer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PACKO

How to use a vibra tach or sirometer
Original Message   Jan 5, 2010 11:43 am
I'm trying to see if my used Toro 824 Power shift is running at the proper high speed.  I borrowed a sirometer but the instructions are kind of vague on how to use it..  With the tach held against the engine and the wire slowly extended, what am I looking for?  The wire to stop vibrating?  It does this at both 3000 and 4000 rpms.
Thanks
Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
LennyB

Re: How to use a vibra tach or sirometer
Reply #7   Jan 6, 2010 4:58 pm
Here's 31pockets on youtube using his sirometer. Does this help ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/31pockets#p/u/1/f4zzx3e4lRU

Cheers,
Len
trouts2

Re: How to use a vibra tach or sirometer
Reply #8   Jan 6, 2010 7:13 pm

LennyB, nice find. That looks like a great Utube series.

The wire length will vibrate the most when it’s vibrating at the same frequency as the engine.  That’s when it’s “blurred” and swinging the most as it has the most energy transfer from the engine to the wire.  When the wire is vibrating the smoothest and most it’s the best match of the engine RPM.

Lengths of wire are calibrated to the dial speed RPM readout. 

When vibrating the most that’s the resonant frequency and will be what they call vibrating in sympathy with the resonant frequency - the engine’s RPM speed and read out on the dial for that length of wire.    

If you set the engine to 1800 RPM and got the wire to vibrate the most then set the engine to 3600 RPM the wire would have two vibrating waves and look like an 8 flattened out but very regular looking and smooth.  The middle is called a node and does not vibrate so if you could put your finger on it your finger would not feel anything.  The two waves at 3600 RPM would be showing the first harmonics of the 1800 vibration.  

I’ve read a few times where the vibrating tachs were checked against pricy digital bench meters and read the same. 

For setting an engine you can tape it to a snowblower and set the wire for 3600 then adjust the engine.

Replies: 7 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42