Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Does anyone know how I can replace Ariens aluminum gearbox with old-style helicon gearbox?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tvlodek

Does anyone know how I can replace Ariens aluminum gearbox with old-style helicon gearbox?
Original Message   Jan 4, 2010 12:21 pm
I have an Ariens 924040 with an aluminum gearbox that just failed.  I've heard the old style helicon gearboxes were vastly superior to these and even the new cast iron boxes on the Pro models.  Can anyone tell me what is required to install one in my machine?  A fellow told me it might be as simple as drilling another hole for a roll pin, I can't rememeber if it was through the shaft to fit the 924040 impeller or vice versa.  Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Replies: 7 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tvlodek

Re: Does anyone know how I can replace Ariens aluminum gearbox with old-style helicon gearbox?
Reply #7   Jan 5, 2010 4:46 pm
>>Often they are keyed or have a dowel pin that breaks.  The ones I’ve opened on 924’s have a dowel shear pin through a collar on the side of the gear.  If you have not opened up your gearbox how do you know the pin is not broken?  Is the case cracked? 

No, from the outside, it looks like new.  I started working on it just a while ago, I should know later this evening. 

>>Sometimes the gears do break and cases crack but chances are decent it could only be the shear pin.  I fixed one two weeks ago on a mid-80’s machine.  The gear was fine and plenty of meat on the teeth to last another 15-20 years.  The fix was a few bucks but I put in new parts just because it was apart and the parts not so expensive.

Judging from your experience, I'll probably just try to fix it, assuming it's only a broken pin and the gears are in good shape.  I'm just a bit soured since this is the second gearbox I've had fail in 3 years, the last time was on a Murray, of course I couldn't get parts.  Definitely bad karma.....

For anyone else that might need a new gearbox, I found it at Replacement Commercial Parts Warehouse in Ohio for $182 and change.

Replies: 7 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42