Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 1028 or Troy-Bilt 3738 H95P6

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Docmba

Toro 1028 or Troy-Bilt 3738 H95P6
Original Message   Dec 30, 2009 6:06 pm
I am looking at getting my first snow blower - for a 100 ft gravel driveway that inclines (and curves) at approx 30 degree.  I am looking at either Toro (305cc) or Troy-Bilt (357cc) as both are costing me C$2,100.  I live in Guelph Ontario where we get a fair amount of snow during the year.  I have looked at the reviews and both these brands seem quite reputable - the Toro will be purchased through a dealer while Troy-Bilt will be bought at a box store.  My concerns are (1) ability to remove snow on an icy incline without slipping, (2) ease of use/handling (as my wife will also be using it) (3) reliability and (4) after sales service.  I am quite confused and look forward to some advice from the experts.

Product websites

http://www.toro.com/intl/ca_en/home/snowthrowers/gastwostage/1028oxe.html
http://www.troybilt.ca/troybilt/product.asp?id=2699&type=6

Thanks.
Replies: 3 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
opecrazy

Re: Toro 1028 or Troy-Bilt 3738 H95P6
Reply #3   Dec 31, 2009 12:26 am
Toro is a premium machine while Troy-Bilt (MTD) is at the bottom of the list.  There is no comparison, Toro hands down.

If you need a machine with tracks, take a look at the Ariens machines.  They have tracks that are much more affordable then Honda.

Check out these other two brands in your area:

Simplicity
Ariens

Toro, Simplicity, and Ariens make products that are far superior then anything MTD has.  MTD makes many snow thrower under multiple brand names.  They make snow throwers for: Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Yard-Machines, Cub Cadet, Bolens....etc

Brands like Husqvarna and Snapper are in between the premium brands and the MTD offerings.  Some Craftsman models are made by Husqvarna.

Honda are generally regarded as the top of the line snow thrower, but they have a price to match.
This message was modified Dec 31, 2009 by opecrazy
Paul7

Reply #4   Dec 31, 2009 2:46 am
A 30% grade is pretty steep.  First and foremost I'd make sure that whatever machine you chose can be used with chains.   Some machines aren't designed to be used with chains (tires too close to the housing). 

Between a Toro and a Troy-bilt....I'd opt for the Toro.
Docmba

Reply #5   Jan 11, 2010 10:42 pm
Thanks for all the valuable input - I placed an order for the Toro and it arrives tomorrow.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2010 6:49 am
GRAVEL HAS IT"S ISSUES!!!!!

Toro makes a nice machine but whatever you use on a gravel drive requires you be careful about setting the height of the skid shoes properly. The gravel can beat the inside of the auger housing to death pretty quick and can work it's way behind the fan and cause jams. Some guys report that Toros don't have shear pins while others say they do. If yours has them make sure you get a good supply as gravel drives can cause you to go through them regularly. Have a detailed conversation with your dealer about shear pins and the use of this machine on gravel as you say it's your first machine. This is certainly not rocket science but you can save yourself a lot of aggravation.

Use great care in choosing the direction you throw as if you pick up some gravel it has the potential to damage whatever it hits. The guys with gravel drives say they are less of a problem as the season progresses as the gravel freezes in place.

Since you are buying through a dealer make sure he knows you have a gravel drive so he can set it up accordingly.

Good Luck,

Marc

This message was modified Jan 12, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Steve_Cebu

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2010 7:45 am
Congratulations on your new Toro, post what you think after you get a chance to use it. I agree about the gravel, we have paved our driveway but for many many years it was gravel. Huge pain to deal with. The Toro has shear pins for the auger but no shear pins from the gearbox to the engine. Also Toro shear pins are twice as thick as Honda shear pins. If I had gravel I's set the height of the scraper bar a 1/2" off the ground minimum. The Honda with tracks had 3 height settings. But with Gravel higher is better. It's bad enough I pick up leaves in my Toro and it really mulches those
This message was modified Jan 12, 2010 by Steve_Cebu

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 3 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42