Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower
Original Message   Dec 26, 2009 11:24 am
I purchased a brand new Ariens Platinum deluxe 24" snowblower in October of 2009.  I paid $2000 Canadian with tax.  A few weeks ago, I used the machine for the first time to clear about 5 cm of snow.  Unit started up well and removed the snow.  Then, when I went to shut down the unit, it backfired and two flames/sparks came out of the exhuast.  I went to start the machine up again and it wouldn't start even though it had been running for 20 minutes.  So, I opened up the choke, primed the unit and it started.  Upon shutting down, the backfiring happened again and again it wouldn't start.  So, I contacted Ariens.  There response was:
1. Put the throttle down to half, let it idle for about 30 seconds and then shut it down.
I did that and still the backfiring happened.  So back I go to contact Ariens.  They tell me to take it back to the dealer.  I did and they:
1. changed the camshaft
2. started 4 other Ariens machines and they all did the same thing.
3. Contacted Briggs who told them the backfiring is caused by the engine running lean so that they could make it through emission restrictions.  They also told the dealer to tell me not to worry about it.

At this stage, I'm frustrated.  I find it unacceptable to pay $2000 for a machine and have it backfire right from the get go.   Interestingly enough, the dealer had a single stage toro 421 and a powerlite.  Both units come with the 4 stroke Chinese made engine from Loncin.  He started those up and neither one of them backfired.  

I don't understand how Briggs can let this go.

Now, I don't know whether to:
1. Just keep the unit.
2. Push Ariens to do something about the unit.  Ariens uses the snow series Briggs.  I wonder if the Snow Max series does the same thing.
3. Push Ariens to give me my money back.

Any idea/feedback?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 29NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
amazer98

Re: What to do with my backfiring Briggs Engine on My New Ariens Snowblower
Reply #1   Dec 26, 2009 12:30 pm
I also bought an Ariens Platinum 24 a few weeks ago.  I've only used it once-- when it was time to shut down, I let it idle slow for 10 seconds or so, then turned off the throttle.  It backfired once, but I didn't see any flames or anything dramatic.

I also called Ariens and spoke to a technical rep.  He confirmed that it's good to idle low for a few seconds (no need to do a full 30 seconds) before shutting the machine off and said not to worry about the backfire.  I haven't started/stopped the machine since, and probably won't worry about it if it only backfires once.  But if it were to repeatedly backfire and emit flames, I wouldn't be a happy camper.

But dealers have the tools to adjust the mixture, I believe.  Why couldn't your OPE just tweak the engine to run a tad richer, if that would eliminate the backfires?  Otherwise, could you run it with the choke turned on just one click?  Maybe that would stop the backfire-- or turn on the choke one click a minute before you shut down the machine.
iLikeOrange

Reply #2   Dec 26, 2009 1:55 pm
My 2005 Tec /Ariens backfires about half the time when shutdown. I  let it slow idle maybe  10-15 seconds before killing it.

mech12

Reply #3   Dec 26, 2009 4:51 pm
 if the engine has idel use it.  what happens when u shut down the engine from full throttle. the engine has no spark, of course u shut down.  now thw piston is stille moving up and down and pulling fuel into engine. now it doenst burn, no spark, and goes on out thru the HOT HOT exhaust   =  backfire
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #4   Dec 26, 2009 5:07 pm
If it is backfiring while running then you have a problem.  If it is only at shutdown then use idle as stated.   A little popping and sputtering at throttle is because they are tuned lean for EPA and that is the nature of the new beast.  But flaming backfire while running is not normal.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by Knee_Biter

joed

Reply #5   Dec 26, 2009 6:04 pm
Thanks for the responses.

The engine only backfires when I'm shutting it down not when it's running.  The dealer did change the camshaft but that didn't solve the problem.

I still find it unacceptable for a brand new engine to do this.   I own several pieces of outdoor power equipment: 2 commercial lawnmowers, commercial trimmers, backpacks, chainsaw etc.  They're all 2-3 years old and none of them backfire.

I don't know if this is a problem exclusive to the snow series engines or if the snow series max engines do the same thing.

I'm going to contact Ariens again next week and see what they say.

I posted another thread about Honda snowthrowers the other day.  Right now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just forked over another $1000 to get a good, reliable, quality machine with a quality engine. 
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #6   Dec 26, 2009 6:25 pm
This is my opinion and only mine.  Not looking for a fight.   I own an Ariens dle pro with with a Tecumseh OHV engine and love it.  I own several Hondas and love them.   I own several other brands all with the Tecumseh L head and love them.  At work we purchased a brand new Ariens 1128 with the Briggs engine.  I hate it.  Not only the engine but the entire machine.  The worst machine I have used and I have used a lot of machines.  I can tell you that if you spent the money on the Honda it would have hurt at first but after the first storm it would have been joy.   My Ariens was the last year of the tried and true platform then they started changing things such as engine, chute control, trigger controlled differential, etc.  Not sure how the new models are now but Honda has had the same platform for years with no change.  If it works leave it alone.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by Knee_Biter

amazer98

Reply #7   Dec 26, 2009 7:25 pm
Knee Biter... don't quite understand why you hate the new Ariens blowers so much.  I ran my new Platinum 24 the other day for the first time and it oirked like a charm.  The engine ran smoothly and powerfully and the blower shot the snow with alacrity and panache.  It handled fine and the chute controls were very convenient.

I admit the engine backfired once when I turned it off, but I interpreted that only as a protest against having to quite work early.  Really, though, what's's to hate about Ariens or the new B&S engines?
This message was modified Dec 26, 2009 by amazer98
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2009 7:34 pm
The Ariens at work was purchased new 2 seasons ago.  The first year for the Briggs and trigger control.   The engine just does not fit right on the machine.  Very hard to work the throttle and gas valve. 

The trigger control works and does not work.  The drive slips when the unit gets wet and then the machine sits and there is no way to move it unless you push.  Ariens came out with a mod for this but does not help.

The balance of the machine is off.  Way back heavy.  The tires are way too small for the machine. 

The rust in 2 seasons is horrible.   The engine runs strong and smooth but thats about all that does.

Maybe they have made some better changes in the last 2 seasons. 

My 1128DLE is from 2003/2004 purchased new and love it. 

Have a 94 824 purchased new and love it.  Have had many older units and had great luck with them as well.

amazer98

Reply #9   Dec 26, 2009 8:57 pm
Wow... well, hopefully the new models have fixed some of those bugs.  Haven't experienced slippage yet, but will know it when I see it.  Hard to believe that such a specialized company as Ariens could blow it big-time on key design execution.
joed

Reply #10   Dec 26, 2009 10:31 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
The Ariens at work was purchased new 2 seasons ago.  The first year for the Briggs and trigger control.   The engine just does not fit right on the machine.  Very hard to work the throttle and gas valve. 

The trigger control works and does not work.  The drive slips when the unit gets wet and then the machine sits and there is no way to move it unless you push.  Ariens came out with a mod for this but does not help.

The balance of the machine is off.  Way back heavy.  The tires are way too small for the machine. 

The rust in 2 seasons is horrible.   The engine runs strong and smooth but thats about all that does.

Maybe they have made some better changes in the last 2 seasons. 

My 1128DLE is from 2003/2004 purchased new and love it. 

Have a 94 824 purchased new and love it.  Have had many older units and had great luck with them as well.

Good observations.

I'm finding the same issues with my new Ariens, especially:
1. The drive does slip when the unit gets wet.
2. The machine is back heavy, making it tough to turn.  Equivalent Toros of the same weight are much easier to turn.  One thing I've noticed is that the Ariens units are shorter than Toros.  So, I think is more evenly distributed on the toros than on the ariens.

My brother-in-law bought his Ariens in 1999.  10 years later, he's had no problems.  Something seems to have happened to Ariens quality control since they went into Home Depot in 2002 or 2003.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 29NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42