Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Does impeller size matter?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mdhomeowner

Does impeller size matter?
Original Message   Dec 13, 2009 1:52 pm
My concern is throwing slushy, wet Maryland snow.  I have a Yard-Man (MTD) 7HP 24" snow thrower which can barely move my MD slush, so I'd like to replace it with the thread of a snowy winter.  I'm looking at a (leftover?) Troy-Bilt 10530 vs. the JD 1130.  The most significant mechanical difference that I note between the two is that the Troy-Bilt has a 16" impeller and the JD has a 12".  Both have similar HP/torque.  Can I expect the Troy-Bilt to have better throwing ability, or is there more to impeller design than just size?
Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mdhomeowner

Re: Does impeller size matter?
Reply #9   Dec 22, 2009 1:45 pm
Thank you all for your feedback.  But can you believe that I cannot find a John Deere in the state of Maryland?!  That was even BEFORE this last storm was forecast.  Spent a half hour on the phone with the predominant area Deere dealer before I could convince him to investigate.  He finally confirmed it, much to his surprise, but couldn't get one.  Nor could any other dealer I've contacted in the state.  So, I will be receiving my Troy-Bilt later this week.  Fortunately, this "Blizzard of '09" was a nice light snow which my current Yard Man handled, though I cleaned my driveway three times through the storm.  Once it arrives later this week, those of you in the mid-Atlantic can be assured that it won't snow again the rest of this winter. 
Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42