Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Does impeller size matter?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mdhomeowner

Does impeller size matter?
Original Message   Dec 13, 2009 1:52 pm
My concern is throwing slushy, wet Maryland snow.  I have a Yard-Man (MTD) 7HP 24" snow thrower which can barely move my MD slush, so I'd like to replace it with the thread of a snowy winter.  I'm looking at a (leftover?) Troy-Bilt 10530 vs. the JD 1130.  The most significant mechanical difference that I note between the two is that the Troy-Bilt has a 16" impeller and the JD has a 12".  Both have similar HP/torque.  Can I expect the Troy-Bilt to have better throwing ability, or is there more to impeller design than just size?
Replies: 4 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mdhomeowner

Re: Does impeller size matter?
Reply #4   Dec 13, 2009 4:23 pm
Wow, thanks for the information!  I am trying to clear a 3-car driveway, so throwing distance  is most important to me.  My Yard-Man can't throw to the edge of the driveway from the center even in the lightest snow.  Worse is slush, which as you described, pretty much just fills up the chute and falls out. 
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #5   Dec 13, 2009 10:37 pm
Good info Trouts2,  have also been wondering about rake sizes, the newer designs & how they affect the throughput of the machine.

Cheers
This message was modified Dec 14, 2009 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Reply #6   Dec 13, 2009 11:37 pm
I looked at Troy-Bilt snowblowers last season at Lowe's and decided against it for several reasons, the main reason being that Troy-Bilt is equipped the the Chinese-made LCT engines. I suggest you go with the John Deere and its Briggs & Stratton engine.
trouts2

Reply #7   Dec 14, 2009 6:18 am
This message was modified Dec 15, 2009 by trouts2
nibbler

Reply #8   Dec 14, 2009 9:20 am
I've had major improvements in thwoing distance by making sure the impeller belt is properly tensioned and/or replace when it got to decrepit. Before getting a new machine make sure your problem isn't something simple on the current machine.
mdhomeowner

Reply #9   Dec 22, 2009 1:45 pm
Thank you all for your feedback.  But can you believe that I cannot find a John Deere in the state of Maryland?!  That was even BEFORE this last storm was forecast.  Spent a half hour on the phone with the predominant area Deere dealer before I could convince him to investigate.  He finally confirmed it, much to his surprise, but couldn't get one.  Nor could any other dealer I've contacted in the state.  So, I will be receiving my Troy-Bilt later this week.  Fortunately, this "Blizzard of '09" was a nice light snow which my current Yard Man handled, though I cleaned my driveway three times through the storm.  Once it arrives later this week, those of you in the mid-Atlantic can be assured that it won't snow again the rest of this winter. 
Replies: 4 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42