Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Carb issue

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mkrind

Carb issue
Original Message   Dec 10, 2009 7:27 am
I have a newer snow blower.  It has a primer.  When I push the primer, I normally hear gas being drawn and injected into the throat of the carb.  I do not.  It simply "hisses".  Any ideas?  I drained my gas tank but failed to drain the bowl from last year, if that helps.  Newb, I know!  Thanks Monte
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
mkrind

Re: Carb issue
Reply #1   Dec 10, 2009 7:28 am
"hisses" menaing that it is drawing air back and forth, not even coming close to pull any gas up into the throat.
trouts2

Re: Carb issue
Reply #2   Dec 10, 2009 9:24 am

Look under the heater box to make sure the primer line is connected to the carb port. 

The line could be broken and air escaping before getting to the port.   Disconnect it at the carb body and prime with your finger over the hose.  You’ll feel a slight push on your finger.

If the line is ok and the gas shutoff open then it should pump gas up to the throat.  You could check to see if gas is getting to the bowl by unscrewing the bowl nut at the base of the carb and it should dribble out gas.  You can catch the gas in a cup.  Tighten the nut and gas should fill the bowl again.  Loosen it and check that it refilled.  If not then you could have a stuck needle valve.

Just one bowl and line full of gas evaporated should not be enough to clog things up.  If you had quite a bit of gas in the tank even after draining most out and left the fuel shutoff on then that gas, the gas in the line and the carb bowl may have been enough to clog things.  As the gas in the bowl evaporated and the float lowered it would let in what was left in the tank and keep repeating this until all the gas was evaporated. 

The needle valve may be stuck, the welch area plugged or the bowl nut holes plugged.  You could drop the bowl and spray up into the needle valve seat, spray into the welch plug hold and into the primer port and see if that frees things up. 

If that does not clear things up then  you’ll probably have to pull the carb for a cleaning. 
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42