Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 1980 ish John Deere Problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Mike00

1980 ish John Deere Problem
Original Message   Dec 5, 2009 1:26 pm
Ive been tinkering on a old JD and im having problems with the governer i think. Everything runs and turns good until i hit some snow and it just bogs down and dies. Where is a good start for the adjustment on this thing? Or any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Mike00

Re: 1980 ish John Deere Problem
Reply #6   Dec 6, 2009 8:07 pm
Great input guys, its appreciated. Although the engine does not surge at all. Runs and idles normal until i hit some snow, then it immediatley bogs down and dies. 2 pulls and fires back up and runs great again. I used a paper clip to clean all the orifices in the carb. And installed the complete rebuild including jets and seats, needle and seat.
mkd55

Reply #7   Dec 7, 2009 7:29 am
after the rebuild it still has no power? if so it could be either too lean yet or compression is low. does it have a fixed main  jet or  adjustable?if fixed jet try putting a load on the engine with a notch or two of choke and see if it still falls flat..if it is an adjustable jet run the engine at high rpm and screw the jet out till you find the position where the rpm just starts to fall off and turn it in to peak it out and put a load on it. if it looses power with the choke partially on under a load and chugs black  the fuel  part of the equation can probably  be elliminated.
This message was modified Dec 7, 2009 by mkd55
Mike00

Reply #8   Jan 4, 2010 7:51 pm
Would it have anything to do with the governor?
Replies: 6 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42