Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1130 SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Clay

John Deere 1130 SE
Original Message   Jan 7, 2009 1:07 pm
I did a search and found a few references to this machine but no answers.  Any one have one of these?  15.5 snow max engine, heated hand grips, 30" wide.  I can't find a listing for auger diameter or impeller diameter.  I called John Deere and the guy that was suppose to be the snow thrower expert didn't know either. 

What is the Easy Steer drive system?  The literature says: 

• Easy SteerŪ drive system giving continuous power to both wheels and auto speed adjustment
  • Is it similar to the Ariens auto differential? 

I've heard that the units are built by B&S which translates to Simplicity.  They do have cast iron gear cases like the Simplicity.  The chute control is different than the simplicity and so is the turning method so they are not exactly the same.  I'm trying to compare the Simplicity L1530E to the JD 1130SE.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Replies: 108 - 117 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    lanningjw

Re: John Deere 1130 SE
    Reply #108   Oct 26, 2009 8:32 pm
    Still waiting for some concrete info on parts for the update on the 08 1130....Any update to share?
    LennyB

Reply #109   Oct 27, 2009 4:43 pm
    I have no update yet on my 2008 928E as I am still waiting for my "kit".

I have nagged my dealer a few times and they replied that there has been no delivery of my parts yet.

It's been 30 days and that seems a while for $9 worth of parts.

I'll keep you posted.

Len
    lanningjw

Reply #110   Oct 29, 2009 10:59 am
    See below
    This message was modified Oct 29, 2009 by lanningjw
    lanningjw

Reply #111   Oct 29, 2009 11:06 am
    Finally a dealer who knows about the updates for the 1130 SE.

Both updates are warranty issues.

A) Water Seal Kit or waterproof kit retro kit, Part number (in CAN) assuming its the same US, BS 1687300 (SM) The kit came out in Jan of this year.

B) Clutch lever kit update for slippage.....BS 1687452YP (again CAN number) Hope it the same US. This update came out late spring.

I just placed a call to my JD dealer and will speak to him soon, I hope.
    lanningjw

Reply #112   Oct 29, 2009 11:27 am
    Just called the dealer spoke with a different guy who I should of spoke the first time and he said drop it off and well take care of it. He was not aware of the later clutch lever kit fix and said he would get it done.

He said we have been selling these things for 25 years and that they have had had snow leaking in the parts......Kinda like why fix something that is not broken answer. I told him that Its better to have the updates installed NOW before it snows.

I think they hate it when you know more than you do.....
    Knowledge is power.....
    Catt

Reply #113   Oct 29, 2009 9:54 pm
    I talked to my dealer today.  My 1130SE should be here mid to late next week.  My neighbors will be wondering why I'm driving it around with no snow.  I can't wait to try it out!
    Catt

Reply #114   Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm
    BTW, have you seen this video?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CCOUHb3Jo
    lanningjw

Reply #115   Oct 31, 2009 8:43 am
    Catt wrote:
    BTW, have you seen this video?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3CCOUHb3Jo

The 1130SE "ROCKS" I am getting excited for winter.

A little more info on the problems with the 08 model. The problem is they use to use the Tecumseh motor that was flat on the side where the belt cover was. They dont make a snow blower engines any more. So, the BS engine is not flat on the side where the belt cover goes and this has caused problems with snow leaking on the belts. 

Ozzie

Reply #116   Nov 4, 2009 7:10 am
    Does anyone know what this clutch lever update is? is it worth nagging my dealer about it?
    Catt

Reply #117   Nov 6, 2009 7:12 pm
    I finally received my 1130 SE...  I went through it with a fine tooth comb to make sure everything was adjusted properly because it wasn't when I got it home.  I thought the dealer should have done a much better job.  After getting everything greased, oiled and adjusted I drove it around the driveway.  This seems like a fantastic snow blower and I can't wait to try it out this winter.  The electric chute works great and the hand warmers will be very nice.  I haven't fully decided about a cab just yet.

As I was going through everything, I removed the lower metal chain case cover.  Now I can see why the earlier version was slipping when it got snow between the engine and the plastic belt cover.   It's a very short direct path to the aluminum disc.  I mean it sits right below the plastic belt cover and there really isn't any where else the melted snow can go. In addition, when you engage the wheels, the aluminum disc tilts slightly giving it even more of a direct path to become wet.. Another thing I noticed was the minimal lube on everything including the chains.  I guess they are now trying to make sure that lube doesn't get splattered onto the disc.  This was all different than my 25 year old Simplicity pro series.  My old Simplicity disc was in a different location and everything was lubed to the max.  The Simplicity disc also didn't tilt for engagement.  But I think the JD is better because the axle is much further back giving more downward force up front.  This should cause the front end to dig down more.  But in the end, I would definately get the updates for the belt cover if I had last year's model.

While apart I looked at the "easy steer" differential.  This thing is pretty slick.  If you rotate one tire and hold the other stationary it will turn the shafts and chains.  It doesn't matter which wheel you rotate and hold stationary, you will get the same result.  so it works exactly like an automotive differential and must be planetary gears of some sort.  I believe the differential can semi lock and unlock too depending on wheel load versus drive torque.  In other words when the wheels are pushing hard they will lock together, although I'm not sure how to fully test it and how much they lock.  I did notice how the wheels seem to lock when I drove it down the trailer ramp.  Either way it looks like a very good feature to me and is probably one of the main reasons to buy this snow blower.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2009 by Catt
    Replies: 108 - 117 of 333Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
    Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
    AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
    Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
    Site by Take 42