Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Deluxe Platinum 24 or 30 decision help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
iowawoodcutter

Deluxe Platinum 24 or 30 decision help
Original Message   Oct 3, 2009 1:36 pm
Hi All,

I have read through the postings and would like some help selecting a snowblower from Home Depot. The Home Depot in my area sells Ariens. I have some gift cards with them which is why I have narrowed it to Home Depot. I have a 100ft, standard 2 car driveway, mostly mixed gravel. I also have a boat parking space so there is some extra mixed gravel driveway also. I live just North of the Quad Cities in Iowa. The last two years we have gotten a lot of snow, and some years, there is nothing. The last two have been medium to medium heavy wet snow with a max of 8 inches of snow.

I like to buy quality and overbuy instead of underbuy, so I have tentatively selected the Ariens Deluxe Platinum 24 (1349$) or Deluxe Platinum 30 (1599$). For the amount I have, do I really need the 30 or will the 24 be plenty? Any other suggestions or comments, would be appreciated.

thanks
Replies: 7 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
iowawoodcutter

Re: Deluxe Platinum 24 or 30 decision help
Reply #7   Oct 10, 2009 3:19 pm
Just picked up the Deluxe 27 at Home Depot for 741$ out the door. After 10% discount and 225$ in gift cards.

thanks
grump

Reply #8   Oct 12, 2009 9:14 am
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/39711-0-1.html

Hope you fare better with it than I did.  It's a great snowblower until you have to turn in a tight spot.
iowawoodcutter

Reply #9   Oct 13, 2009 4:23 pm
I noticed is pulls (or I guess pushes) to the left noticeably with the remote lock not engaged. This could be annoying but if it is I will just leave it locked constantly and pick it up from the handles and swing it around pivoting on the skid shoes at the ends of the driveway. Also, I would have loved the Plat 24 with the ATC, but out the door for it would have been 1375. At 741 out the door for the Deluxe 27, I could not justify the extra expense.
grump

Reply #10   Oct 13, 2009 9:20 pm
That's only because only one wheel is powering the machine.  Good luck standing on fresh fallen snow and lifting the wheels off the ground to turn it, as you describe.  Someone on this board once described it as wrestling with a bear.

Could have given you a great deal on mine.

I'll be thinking of the additional money as $30 year over the times I'll have it.  It is a lot to spend, though, on something typically used just a few hours every year.

Good luck with it.  It's great on those straight runs.
iowawoodcutter

Reply #11   Oct 14, 2009 12:44 am
Grump,

I have done it before with my dads blower. His wheels are locked all the time and I just pick her up and swing it around. His is heavier than mine also and it did not bother my back, only if I have to bend over do I get back problems. Plus I am fairly young (35) and an avid weightlifter so it does not bother me as basically the same snowblower at twice the price would have bothered me.
Replies: 7 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42