Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Electric chute control concerns (and introduction)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowgo

Electric chute control concerns (and introduction)
Original Message   Oct 7, 2009 8:16 pm
Hello everybody,

This is my first post. I found this website about a week ago and have been trying to learn from all the great info posted here. I'm 54 and live in northeast Wisconsin on a large corner lot right across the road from Lake Michigan (can you say "lake effect snow"?) My driveway is 3 cars wide and a little over 2 car lengths long, with a row of hedges bordering it on one side and an alley on the other. When I clear the snow, I can't throw snow into the alley, so I need to throw it across the 3 car wide driveway clear to the other side (and over the hedges, which are about 4 feet high). Also, I live on a busy street where the city plows are constantly coming by and pushing more snow onto the sidewalks, which are very long.

The last 2 winters have been very harsh in terms of both snow and cold. I've been shopping at all the stores around where I live trying to find a snow thrower that will fit my needs. Reliability and quality is high on the list of what I'm looking for. I've read good things about the Simplicity brand, so I visited a Simplicity dealer near me. The salesperson I dealt with suggested that the L1428E would be the machine to best serve my needs. I love the Easy Turn feature. The one feature that I question is the electric chute controls ... especially without any kind of manual override should it freeze up or short out ... or whatever.

My question: Is there any reason I should be leery about having electric chute controls? As I said, our winters can be very cold and harsh here. I'd hate to have the button freeze up on me or short out in the middle of a blizzard and have no means of clearing the snow if that should happen. I wouldn't mind dropping to the model below this one (the L1226E), which has a manual chute control, if it can still do the job with less chance of problems arising.

Oh, and one more thing. There is also a Snapper dealer in my area. According to him, Snapper is the parent company of Simplicity. So does that mean Snapper would be a better product than Simplicity? Or would they be the same machine with a different name tag on it? They offer what appears to be a very similar snow thrower to the L1428E for the same price (it even has the exact same model number) ... accept that their machine also includes hand warmers (which in my mind isn't really necessary, but I'm just letting you know).

Thanks everybody. I look forward to your opinions and feedback.

Bob
Replies: 5 - 14 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
fatty9009

Re: Electric chute control concerns (and introduction)
Reply #5   Oct 8, 2009 7:56 pm
have you looked at Toro's?...I recently did alot of shopping, looking at Simplicity, Ariens, and Toro's, and i chose the Toro 828 OXE.  It has great chute controls, and is built solid.  I would at least take a look.
mikiewest

Reply #6   Oct 8, 2009 9:52 pm
The snapper and simplicity large frames are the same machine except snapper uses a plastic chute.Briggs and Stratton own both of them.Also those machines get their snow series max engines.Toro and Ariens get the snow series engine.They r going to save the better engine for snapper and simplicity since briggs owns them.You might find a left over simplicity w/out the electric chute rotator.I own a simplicity signature pro 11570e with the manual chute rotator.It was siitting right next to a pro model with the electric chute rotator same width.But I said to myself,my wife will kill me if I spend $1900 on a snowblower and the chute wont rotate lol.If its 4 am and I'm trying to clear my driveway,I dont have time to figure out if its a loose wire or the motor is bad etc.I need reliabilty not a doo dad.Look at Honda machines sold in the usa.Clean ,simple and gadget free.Theres always Toro which seems to be an easier machine to move around than ariens.But you should go in the stores and see which one you feel more comfortable with.
opecrazy

Reply #7   Oct 8, 2009 11:33 pm
First of all I would like to say hi to the forum.  I have lingered around for a couple months and finally became a member.  This place is a very valuable source of information.  Thanks to everyone who contributes.

Some things to clear up (kind of):

Snow Series Max engines are used on all Toro, some Ariens and some Simplicity/Snapper models.  When I was shopping for my thrower I looked at a simplicity L1226E and thought it had a max engine too.  Can't be sure.  On the snapper/simplicity website it says that every large frame model higher than the L1226E has a Snow Series Max Engine but not the L1226E.  For Ariens its hard to see what egnine they use but I am guessing they also use Max engines from deluxe24 and upwards.  Maybe Snowmann can clear this up?  Since it looks like you will be purchasing a bigger machine anyways it is safe to assume that you will have the better engine.

I think you should look at some Ariens throwers and then Toro if you have the money.  When I was deciding between a Toro, Ariens, and Simplicity the electric chute rotation was the deal breaker.  I think that Simplicity/Briggs is using these motors to cut costs, since its cheaper to put a motor on instead of fabricating all kinds of linkages that need to have a degree of percision to work.  I don't think the electric motors will fail, but I'm just a person that likes it simple.  I know, I basically just contradicted myself!  I guess new technology is always hard to accept.  (Simple is also the reason I went with a locked axle Toro 826OE but this is besides the point)

My humble opinions:

-All three companies will provide you pretty much a simillar quality product at the end of the day.
-If taken care of all three companies have a product that will last a long, long time.
-Toros are nice but extremely expensive.  Unless you can get a good deal or can afford it.
-I would go for the remote wheel unlock (both Ariens and Simplicity) over the Ariens automatic differential.

-Especially if you are not mechanically inclined: it is important to buy from a good dealer above all else.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck!
This message was modified Oct 8, 2009 by opecrazy
mikiewest

Reply #8   Oct 8, 2009 11:58 pm
If toro uses the snow series max engine how come they dont mention it?The website does not mention snow series max .I would think u would highlight that point.
opecrazy

Reply #9   Oct 9, 2009 12:06 am
Only Snapper/Simplicity clearly define the engines they use.  Unless the label is wrong, my Toro 826OE (bottom of lineup) has a Snow Series Max 1150 Engine.  Ariens definitely uses these engines too, I just don't know where they introduce them in their product line.  They don't specify on their website.  I tried comparing pictures but that didn't work.

Actually, according to Snowmann Ariens gets better engines than the other two, but I can't substantiate his claims.
This message was modified Oct 9, 2009 by opecrazy
mikiewest

Reply #10   Oct 9, 2009 6:21 am
now does that make sense ope??B&S owns snapper and simplicity but they r going to give their machines the lesser of the two engines as opposed to ariens??
bdresch

Reply #11   Oct 9, 2009 8:19 am
mikiewest wrote:
now does that make sense ope??B&S owns snapper and simplicity but they r going to give their machines the lesser of the two engines as opposed to ariens??

They don't give their engines to anyone.  They sell them.  Briggs and Stratton is an engine company first that happens to own a couple small equipment manufacturers too.  If Toro or Ariens is going to pay what Briggs asks for the better engines, I don't see why Briggs wouldn't sell them.  Both Toro and Ariens buy a lot of engines every year and it wouldn't make sense for Briggs to jeopordize big contracts like that just to sell a few more snow blowers every year.
snowgo

Reply #12   Oct 9, 2009 2:10 pm
Thanks for all the hellos and the great info! I really appreciate the help.

With all the high praise the Toros are getting, I'd like to check them out. But I don't know of any Toro dealers in the area. I went to the Toro website, but their "Dealer Locator" feature isn't compatible with the browser I use. (grrr) I also checked the yellow pages. No mention of Toros in the Snow Removal section. I guess I'll have to ask around.

I did look at a few Ariens snow throwers/blowers at a Home Depot store about 30 miles from where I live. The salesman "helping" me didn't seem to know very much about any of the snow throwers. Most questions I asked were answered with "I don't know". And out of the questions that were answered, I had the feeling that the salesman really didn't know the answers, but had to say something since I asked. Frustrating.

My head is spinning with all the info from here plus all the different snow throwers I looked at over the last week or so ... most of which haven't even been mentioned here (... like Craftsman, Poulan, Cub Cadet, Sno-Tek, Troy-Bilt, MTD, etc.). From what is mentioned here, I'm assuming that Toro, Ariens and Simplicity/Snapper are all highly regarded so that's what I'm concentrating most on. (Plus I'm not sure about any machine with a plastic chute, but I suppose that's another one of those hot-button issues). :-)

Lots of variables to sort through. It might take me some time to figure out, but again, I do appreciate all your help. That's why I came here.

Thanks again!

Bob
aa335

Reply #13   Oct 9, 2009 3:05 pm
Go ahead and ask all you want. Anytime a newby comes by and ask questions, all sorts of "hot buttons" pops up.
mfduffy

Reply #14   Oct 9, 2009 3:53 pm
Good Luck -- let us know how it works out and what you end up with.  One thought on finding a Toro dealer...  I live in the metro-Milwaukee area and have noticed that several of the ACE Hardware stores are also Toro dealers.  Maybe the same is true up by you? 
Replies: 5 - 14 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42