Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman snow blower 536.88860 not turning tracks

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rediranch

Craftsman snow blower 536.88860 not turning tracks
Original Message   Oct 5, 2009 12:39 pm
The used Craftsman snowblower I bought worked fine the first few times, then the tracks stopped moving unless I take the weight off of them by tipping the blower forwards or backwards. Flat on the ground as they should be, they wont turn.

Is it chains or belts that control the tracks?

Do I need to look at something else instead?

This is the one.

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
friiy

Re: Craftsman snow blower 536.88860 not turning tracks
Reply #1   Oct 5, 2009 10:40 pm
Well looking at the assy you posted...

The Tracks run on a track wheel, the wheel is driven by chain and belt and friction disc... You say the drive is not working for eather track and the will only turn the track if you lift it off the ground (no load on the drive)..

I would look up stream on the drive, the belt that runs down to the friction disc, or the friction disc.

The disc or the belt will cause failure of both tracks, still allowing them to turn if ae under no load..

This unit looks like a mechanical nightmare on the breakdown... It does have chains that go from the drive disc shaft, but if a chain sprocket came loose or failed, only one track side would fail to turn.

I would check the drive belt to see if it is slipping or looser than normal. I can't tell by the breakdown, does this unit have a single drive engage lever? IF so make sure it is adjusted so it pulls the belt or disc properly..

Good Luck,

Friiy
friiy

Re: Craftsman snow blower 536.88860 not turning tracks
Reply #2   Oct 5, 2009 10:46 pm
One other thing I forgot to say, Check to make sure you drive disc is clean, sometimes a little lube oil or grease may make it to the disc rubber surface.. Ff this happens the disc has no traction, also check to see if the disc is "glazed", sometimes the rubber wil dry out and have no grip, If this happens the disc can be buffed with a piece of emery cloth or ruffed up with scotchbright pad..

I have also seen people change oil and drench these parts and or the drive belt with oil.. causeing the unit to have the same problems. Brake cleaner will clean oil off the surface of the belt and disc nicely..

Good Luck,

Friiy
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42