Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Fuel Additives in OPE.....?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Fuel Additives in OPE.....?
Original Message   Jan 21, 2005 12:34 pm
What is everyones opinion on the use of fuel additives, especially in today OHV OPE engines?

Example:

Lucas Fuel Treatment

Lucas Fuel Treatment

A powerful blend of oils and additives that contain no SOLVENTS. Designed to increase power and fuel mileage and also lower exhaust emissions through a more complete combustion. 

Lucas Fuel Treatment is formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines, carbureted or fuel injected. It gives your fuel system what it really needs - a blend of super slick oils and additives with a high detergent action that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency. Also, it cleans and lubricates the carburetor and injectors and causes the fuel to burn more thoroughly for increased power and less fuel consumption. Lucas Fuel Treatment should definitely be used in vehicles that require leaded fuel because it actually replaces the benefits of lead in gasoline without causing harmful emissions. Use it to pass smog tests. Finally, it totally neutralizes the harmful effects of low sulfur diesel fuel.

Key Benefits

• A great tune-up in a bottle
  • Cleans and lubricates the fuel system
  • Neutralizes low sulfur fuel problems
  • Increases power and miles per gallon by burning excess exhaust emissions
  • Increases the life of pumps and injectors
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Re: Fuel Additives in OPE.....?
Reply #1   Jan 21, 2005 12:44 pm
I was at a local OPE dealer and he told me to use 89 in all equipment, because the fuel of today has just degraded.  The Echo ES-230 I have specifically says to use 89 Octane.  I'm using 87 in all the other equipment, until I see that I shouldn't.  I also understand that Exxon seems to be the best right now, and is closest to me.  Recently Hess seemed to be rated the highest, but I might be wrong.  PRI-G seems to do the same things that Lucas would do.  Then again Lucas is made just for fuel care.  I'm anxoius to hear the reports by our members if they decide to try it.  It's also good to see something for small engines.  Soemthing that's designed for only one thing seems to usually work better, than something made universally. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

JohnEDavies

Reply #2   Jan 21, 2005 12:50 pm
I'm not familiar with the Lucas stuff, but I have been happily using Stabil in everything for decades. If the gas is kept fresh, I don't see any need for fancy additives designed to help performance. The Lucas treatment does not appear to be a fuel stabilizer.

With Stabil I have NEVER had a "bad gas" related problem, and the equipment starts up easily after storage. Anyone who has sniffed really old fuel will understand what happens without stabilzer - it gets _really_ nasty. I once checked the gas in a motorcycle that had sat for over 5 years and the smell would just about take the top of your head off. It would in no way run until the carb was degunked and new gas was added. Stabil won't protect gas for 5 years, but it sure works for periods of 12 months or less.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/index.htm

John

This message was modified Jan 21, 2005 by JohnEDavies
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #3   Jan 21, 2005 2:24 pm
Hi...

For the diesel in my tractor & truck...
I use Power Service Diesel Fuel Suplement... usually in winter/cold times...
It helps prevent the diesel fuel from gelling at low temperatures...
...and does some other things too like increase the Cetane level... (like octane level in gas)...
I know it makes the engine run quieter in the tractor and especially the Dodge...

I add Pri-D to the tractor's diesel  fuel as soon as I buy it... so i know it's always treated...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

Reply #4   Jan 21, 2005 2:34 pm
Well, I run 93 octane in all of my OPE and,  from the best sources but, I am curious if this would help any at all? I don't see why it would hurt? I run the stuff in my automobile engines periodically.
Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #5   Jan 21, 2005 3:41 pm
Marshall...

Based on other posts I've read...

Use the octane recommended for the OPE...

87 octane combusts easier/sooner than higher octanes like 93...

The higher octanes ignight  later than lower octanes to prevent "pinging" / "pre-detonation" in more sophisticated car engines...

So it seems... 87 may give better performance in the simple OPE engines...

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

Marshall

Reply #6   Jan 21, 2005 4:04 pm
Dave thank you. But, that's exactly why I run it, Kohlers love the 93 octane. 
Marshall

Reply #7   Jan 21, 2005 4:09 pm
Speaking of oil and gas, I wonder if  Blue99 made the switch to the new forum?
Termy

Reply #8   Jan 21, 2005 5:42 pm
Sorry for the late reply.

I use Stabil in all my equipment and never had a problem sence! Stabil will keep fuel good for a year without a problem.

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Jan 21, 2005 11:15 pm
I was told by my local OPE dealer that there is a direct relationship between compression and the need for higher octane to prevent pre-ignition. I was told the higher the compression the higher the octane necessary. He said to use no lower than 89 in  2cycle equiptment and that all the 4cycle he had sold in the last ten years required only 87.

I started using SeaFoam in my lawn equiptment last spring after reading the recomendation by Tecumseh Man. The stuff seems to have had a beneficial effect on my carburetors as the transition from low to high is definitely smoother in both 2 and 4 cycle engines. I have also used the spray in some really balky poorly maintained engines belonging to friends and in SOME cases a rebuild was avoided. We are talking carburetor rebuild.

Don't you just hate gummed up carburetors? I've had to unmount the engine on some lawn mowers just to get the carb off! The government needs to put adjustable jets back on ope and mandate designs where removing a carburetor takes no more than 2min.if they are going to keep making us use this $hitty gas that can't sit for more than a month without deteriorating. Put that plank in your platform Mr. Politician and you just might get my vote!  While you are at it how about repealing the really stupid laws that are causing the demise of 2 cycle ope?

Marc

This message was modified Jan 21, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #10   Jan 22, 2005 12:04 am
That explains it all.  Thanks Marc.  It is disgusting how some engine manufacturers are mounting the carbs on engines.  Probably just so we have to take them in to be easier on ourselves.
This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #11   Jan 22, 2005 12:27 am
I don't know much about additives vs. octane level. My JD Mower says using higher than 87 (89?) octane can cause permanent damage to the engine. (for what it's worth) Walt
This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by Walt
Termy

Reply #12   Jan 22, 2005 12:35 am
My new Stihl FS250R Trimmer requires the use of premium octane which I think is 92. The reason is because the engine is a high performance 40.2cc engine. If you try to use 87 octane, it will makes lots of pops sounds and it won't rev up right. Meaning it acts like its boggin down before it lets itself rev up. Just like a race car engine. We are talking v8 up to v12. You would not put standard 87 unleaded octane would you? Back in my old days, which is the 80's, 87 octane regular unleaded was much higher quality, and if you used 92 it would burn up your engine. Now days, that could never happen. Also becaues of the bad quality of gas we have now days, we have to use Stabil or Pri-G.

18Degrees

Reply #13   Jan 22, 2005 12:35 am
The Honda owner's manual reads "Use unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher"

I use 91 octane with Sta-bil   ( I need to get Some Pri-G).

18 Degrees

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by 18Degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Emmo

Reply #14   Jan 22, 2005 4:59 pm
18Degrees wrote:
The Honda owner's manual reads "Use unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher"

I use 91 octane with Sta-bil   ( I need to get Some Pri-G).

18 Degrees

Order online with Camping World

This message was modified Jan 22, 2005 by Emmo
willj

Reply #15   Feb 27, 2006 2:37 pm
AJace wrote:
... Exxon seems to be the best right now, and is closest to me.  Recently Hess seemed to be rated the highest ...

Where are you finding the ratings for the various gasoline brands? I tried a couple of Google searchs but did not find anything useful.

Will
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42