Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking at the craftsman snowthrower. Need your advise or suggestions.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jclub

Looking at the craftsman snowthrower. Need your advise or suggestions.
Original Message   Aug 31, 2009 1:40 am
I am looking to get the craftsman 2 stage snowblower. Anyone have this or have heard about this model?
It is a 305cc Briggs & Stratton engine with 13.5 torque.
CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24" Wide Dual Stage Snowblower
http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002KS9RE0/sr=1-13/qid=1251694816/ref=sr_1_13/179-4957276-6470238?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=396784011

How is the craftsman brand compare to Toro or Ariens? I am getting mix reviews on craftsman, some say it they are good, and some said to stay away from it.

Any suggestion or comments will be appreciated.

Joe.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Krank

Re: Looking at the craftsman snowthrower. Need your advise or suggestions.
Reply #7   Sep 10, 2009 5:14 pm
76monte wrote:
Thanks for the response "krank" ...my pleasure to help :).

What do we teach our children? Don't speak your mind until you know your facts. 
I should listen to myself sometimes.

Cheers
nhmatt

Reply #8   Sep 17, 2009 9:16 pm
Personally, I'd buy a cheap 24" 8hp piece of junk before I bought an expensive, 28" 10HP piece of junk.

None of the snowblowers built today (save honda) will last the 20 years like the oldies. Either get a Honda or save your money. Go to craigslist and get a snowbird's old machine.
mikiewest

Reply #9   Sep 17, 2009 9:22 pm
i disagree.I have a 2006 simplicity pro and its as solid as a honda.All steel, cast iron gear case,etc. etc..I dont have electric chute which makes my machine more reliable.And it will last 20 yrs with proper maint..
nhmatt

Reply #10   Sep 17, 2009 9:37 pm
I also think the robo-chutes are a waste of money, and a pain when they break. Most of us do driveways, and if you start in the middle and work out how often do you turn the chute?

I've never used a Simplicity, but I like their balance and the channeled handlebars. Pretty much everything else I see is the same sh*t in a different wrapper. I picked up a Honda 1132tas last Winter and can't wait to pull the tarp off it. Headlight is a little weak, but other than that I think this is the snowblower I'm going to be with for the rest of my life. Yes I know they're stupidly expensive, but I bought used at 50% off.
mikiewest

Reply #11   Sep 18, 2009 6:13 am
Im not a mechanic but I think the Simplicity uses better components than some of the other brands.Such as cast iron auger gear housing on their pro and large frame models.I was told also the internal components are of higher grade.Of course it has a friction disk like all the other brands.And now 99% will have B&S engines which is not a bad thing.Honda is a great machine but I'll take my pro which is built like a bull and has easy turn and throws snow a mile and wouldnn't clog even when the bucket was full with wet snow.
nhmatt

Reply #12   Sep 18, 2009 7:00 am
I can spray water 20' with the Honda. I'm not even talking slush. I can clean a 4&quot; deep puddle at the end of my mailbox. In 10 years I've never had a Honda clog, except for a blue tarp. Last year I got too close to the house and ate a gutter downspout. It chewed it up and spit it out.<BR><BR>The easy turn is a nice feature, but wheeled Hondas are so light I don't see the point. A 724 honda is very light, and will do the job (and then some) of a machine weighing twice as much. I've got a track model now and, yes, its hard to turn on dry pavement in the Fall, but there's nothing it can't do in the Winter.

I tried to get a simplicity, but their owners just don't give them up! And I'm not a new-price kinda guy.
This message was modified Sep 18, 2009 by nhmatt
aa335

Reply #13   Sep 18, 2009 11:19 am
I
This message was modified Sep 18, 2009 by aa335
mikiewest

Reply #14   Sep 18, 2009 7:36 pm
I saw a Honda snowblower on youtube with a shovel blade in the front instead of a bucket.Has anyone else seen this video.The demonstrator had  cinder blocks on a pallet and was pushing it with the front of the blade.I assume to show that snow wont bog it down.I guess if someone doesnt need a tractor  w/a blade,this would be an alternative.
This message was modified Sep 18, 2009 by mikiewest
nhmatt

Reply #15   Sep 19, 2009 6:46 am
The blade was there to protect the cinderblock from being eaten.

Seriously, I broke a couple shear pins getting too close to things. Because it digs SOOO GOOOOD you're able to chomp through areas you can't get with a lesser machine. Two examples for me were the corner of my wood pile and a shovel my daughter left in the yard. It chewed the 1" dowel handle up and finally broke the shear pin when it reached the plastic blade. You could seriously chew the first 4" of sod off your lawn if you feel like it.

I don't think there's a machine out there that won't clear a driveway, at least once. Just don't buy an Ariens. My driveway is paved, and about 6000sqft. The tracks are a sacrifice on flat pavement, but now I don't have to shovel to my wood pile or my oil tanks, and the little rat dog gets a dog track in the back yard. For a "standard" 40 x 20 flat driveway I'd get a 724 Honda, or 824 toro or comparable simplicity. Smaller is better when you've got cars in your way, and an extra 4" in the bucket isn't going to save you any real time. Better to get a smaller bucket/engine ratio. Anything is going to seem an amazing improvement compared to a hand shovel.
snowmachine

Reply #16   Sep 19, 2009 8:43 pm
This is very similar to unit to mine that I bought last year. A few differences from mine includ 30", 14.5, and obviously the color. Video in my signature at bottom. It worked well for me last winter.

jclub wrote:
I am looking to get the craftsman 2 stage snowblower. Anyone have this or have heard about this model?<BR>It is a 305cc Briggs &amp; Stratton engine with 13.5 torque. <BR>CRAFTSMANŽ/MD 24&quot; Wide Dual Stage Snowblower<BR>http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002KS9RE0/sr=1-13/qid=1251694816/ref=sr_1_13/179-4957276-6470238?ie=UTF8&amp;searsBrand=core&amp;mqnodeid=396784011<BR><BR>How is the craftsman brand compare to Toro or Ariens? I am getting mix reviews on craftsman, some say it they are good, and some said to stay away from it.<BR><BR>Any suggestion or comments will be appreciated.<BR><BR>Joe.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42