Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Buying A New Two Stage - Would Appreciate Your Advice

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Summerwinds

Simplicity 924i, Toro 3650

Buying A New Two Stage - Would Appreciate Your Advice
Original Message   Dec 3, 2008 10:48 am
I am planning to purchase a new snowblower this week and would be grateful for your suggestions. I have researched a number of brands that are available here in the Chicago area including Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Ariens, and Poulan. I understand that American Yard Products (AYP) manufactures most of the lower and mid-range brands that are sold at the big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) and that companies like Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, MTD and Poulan simply add their own labels to basically the same product. I especially noticed that Craftsman and Troy-Bilt are identical. One of my concerns is that many of the contributors in these forums state that the Tecumseh motors are loud and vibrate strongly, and that Tecumseh is going out of business this year. Most prefer the OHV Briggs and Stratton motors because they are smoother and quieter than Tecumseh. Would you agree? Troy-Bilt claims that their motors are "Troy-Bilt", but are they really Tecumseh or B & S? The only brand in this price range that I have seen equipped with the B & S is the Craftsman. Poulan definitely has the Tecumseh "Snow King" motor.

I have an 80 foot long by 15 foot wide driveway that connects to a main street. The city snowplows tend to pile up the heavy wet snow at the end of my driveway when they make their passes down the street. Living in the Chicago area means I can get some significant amounts of snow, but most are typically in the 4 to 8 inches range.

Regarding features, I am concerned that the "joystick" equipped models (Troy-Bilt, Craftsman) with exposed wiring will gather ice while in use and freeze up making the chute control worthless, so I prefer the simple crank control. And the plastic chute's durability concerns me too. Most of thse models have 6 forward speeds and two reverse speeds.  

I would like to spend less than $1000, which means the Ariens, Toro, John Deere, and Honda are out. What brands (Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, Poulan) would you recommend? What horsepower would you feel I need to clear a driveway of this length? And what about the swath size - 24", 26", 28"? Finally, do you prefer the B & S motors over the Tecumseh motors?

Thank you, I really appreciate your advice!

Replies: 14 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
xauxi99

Re: Buying A New Two Stage - Would Appreciate Your Advice
Reply #14   Aug 28, 2009 11:42 pm
 Marked! I will come back to check this soon!thanks a lot.:-)
[url=http://simulationdecreditimmobilier.org][color=#F6F6F6][u]demande credit
immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
courtier[/u][/url][/color][color=#F6F6F6]Une simulation credit immobilier de France
a faire un
pret.[/color][url=http://simulationdecreditimmobilier.org][color=#F6F6F6][u]demande
credit immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
courtier[/u][/url][/color]
Replies: 14 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42