Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Craftsman Power Steering on Snowblower - How robust is it?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
moef

Craftsman Power Steering on Snowblower - How robust is it?
Original Message   Aug 21, 2009 9:21 am
This year I'm going to replace my 27 year old Craftsman 10/32 Snowblower    

Based on my previous machine I'm looking at  a Craftsman again.    I'm getting on in years so will be going to a smaller machine, but also like the idea of "Power Steering"  after manhandling the old heavy brute for so many years.    One machine that has caught my eye is the 24",  13.5 TF Craftsman  with power steering.

After looking at the power release mechanism attached to each wheel I'm wondering how robust it really is?   The engaging pawls don't look all that heavy, and was wondering how it would stand up?   There must  be a lot of strain put on them when , for example,  you hit  a raised piece of sidewalk and the forward movement of the machine stops immediately?   

I've searched various forums but have not found any  instances or discussions of how durable this mechanism is?  Do you have any experiences to share?  What are your thoughts on this mechanism?

Thanks,  moe
This message was modified Aug 21, 2009 by moef
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
GreasyWrenches

Re: Craftsman Power Steering on Snowblower - How robust is it?
Reply #1   Aug 22, 2009 4:05 am
Hello

I think it may be this model your referring to:

The power-steering is a nice option, It's not like power steering in a car but Im sure you already know that Moe. I Have a snowblower with said power steering (MTD) and what it does is when you press on one of the power steering levers when the machine is moving is it locks one wheel and lets the other wheel turn to help you make an easier turning maneuver it works kind of like a tank, one track moves and the other stays stationary to maneuver the turn. The power steering is cable actuated the one thing i can see is the cables freezing due to temperatures going up and down (had this happen in my own machine last winter and it froze locked on one side, let me tell you its hard to use a snowblower dragging one wheel while your trying to blow snow. I know in my own machine its a bronze toothed gear and the cable with a key like wedge that will lock the bronze gear which is attached to the shaft that turns the wheel in question. Im not sure about hitting the sidewalk would affect it unless your making a turn at the moment your hitting the sidewalk or curb. I can definitely tell you that hitting a curb is neither good for you or the machine

Hope this helps,

GreasyWrenches
This message was modified Aug 22, 2009 by GreasyWrenches

Licensed Heavy Diesel Mechanic Briggs and Stratton, Honda, Tecumseh, Kubota, Stihl, I own em all, Too much to list
76monte

Reply #2   Aug 27, 2009 12:54 am
Hi Moe...I too am looking at this snow blower. 

I got a chance to see other Craftsman snow blowers, but this particular model wasn't in stock at the store in Welland, Ontario.

On the picture, it looks like there are no levers for engaging the power steering, but then again the photo doesn't show a side angle.

Looking at the intake housing (from the photo), it looks like a Husqvarna built machine, which has a good reputation.  Hopefully, that also applies to their power steering.

A 13.5 (305 cc) B&S motor on a snow blower with a 24 inch wide cut should easily be able to get through the mess left at the end of the driveway.

The price of $1199 looks like a good value.   By the way, Sears Canada is offering 100 dollars off on a purchase over $1000 (until Sept 20).  If you use their discount coupon, item # 941612386   you will be able to buy this machine for 1099.99 (plus taxes). 

Do you recall if the transmission has variable speed?

Regards.....Dan
This message was modified Aug 27, 2009 by 76monte
snowmachine

Reply #3   Sep 19, 2009 8:50 pm
I never had issues with mine but I keep it in a slightly heated storage shed after each use.

I have read elsewhere it can freeze up if left outside.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42