Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New To The Site

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tailwind

New To The Site
Original Message   Jul 6, 2009 6:38 pm
I am new to this forum.  I recently rescued a Simplicity 1691900 from a community dumpster.  I spoke to the person who put it in there.  She could not get it started, so I asked if I could have it to try to fix.  The snow blower is in good shape appearance wise and the engine is a Tecumseh 8 HP Snow King.  I took it home, made a couple of pulls and it didn't want to start.  I got out the trusty starting fluid and it started right up.  The only problem was no matter what gear the selector was in it ran in reverse.  I made the factory adjustments and it quit moving altogether.  I went over it, changed the oil and drained the gas.  I turned it up on end and opened the bottom pan.  The pin that fits in the speed selector had sheered off and the collar to hold it to the friction wheel had worn severely.  I got the Simplicity owner's manual and parts manual.  It looks as if less than 50 dollars will have me in business for next year.  My question is the Simplicity manual refers to the engine owner's manual.  I tried to go to the Tecumseh web site, but it appears they are out of business.  I searched everywhere and am not able to find the manual.  I searched this forum an did not see a reference.  Is there anywhere I can get the Tecumseh owner's manual, or do I need to plan on buying a repair manual.  I also am curious what is so special about the Simplicity special cold weather worm gear oil for the auger worm gear?  Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tailwind 
Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tailwind

Re: New To The Site
Reply #9   Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm
Trouts,

Thank you for the note.  I got the parts manual.  The pin that rides on the friction wheel and goes to the speed selector arm was totally worn.  The pin itself had snapped off and the collar that holds the thrust bearings was worn as well.  $32.00 worth of parts and freight and I am in business.  I feel like a proud father.  It sure will beat shoveling.   This model has a manual chute which could be a bit $#%*bersome, but I can work with it for the price I paid.  I decided to go ahead and pay for a 4OZ +/- bottle of the simplicity worm gear oil.  The level was a bit low.  Put it back together, and I am in business.  Not much snow now it has been in the 90s so I will prep it for storage and go fly fishing instead.  It has the Tecumseh engine which seems to run well but on a forum somewhere I have seen where the engines have had some issues.  I guess i will do the regular maintenance and run it until it quits.  If/when that happens can the engine be replaced with a Briggs?  I did notice that the engine likes a single primer shot to get started even if it has been running.  I have been trying to start it with the throttle at a low speed, but may have to play with where to set the throttle to start without priming.  The priming makes it a bit too rich but it starts right up.  I may not be giving it enough throttle to start, but I sure do hate to start engines at half throttle or more.  Once running it idles well, but will not start at the idle setting without priming.  Any thoughts?

Tailwind

Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42