Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Bits of Friction disc coming off??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mfduffy

Bits of Friction disc coming off??
Original Message   May 2, 2009 8:39 pm
I spent a few hours today getting my snowblower put away for the summer. When I pulled the bottom plate off to grease the chains, etc. I found bits of greasy black stuff -- seems to be rubber. And the pattern with which they were stuck to the casing seemed to indicate they came from the friction disc. Is this normal? Is it bad? If so, what caused it? I went ahead and cleaned the friction plate off with a microfiber sponge -- no soap, no grease, nothing -- just a wet sponge.
This message was modified May 4, 2009 by mfduffy
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Mike_in_NH

Re: Bits of Friction disc coming off??
Reply #1   May 27, 2009 2:00 pm
I have the Simplicity P1628E and noticed the same thing. I figured it was normal wear. I am guilty of shifting on the fly... Don't know if that could be the reason.
mfduffy

Reply #2   May 27, 2009 7:19 pm
Interesting -- I have Simp 1524 (Signature Pro Series). I previously posted a thread here where I asked why the manuals for the Signature Pro series said NOT to shift on the fly -- particularly considering that it is promoted as a feature of their Large Frame series. No one had much of an answer. Now that you mention it, I did shift on the fly more this season than last. Typically, I'll stop to shift to a slower speed, but if I'm shifting up, I'll just let the lever drop to the appropriate gear.
Snowmann

Reply #3   May 28, 2009 10:17 am
This is normal for a friction disk driven machine. Nothing to worry about. Likely not from shifting on the fly. Keep your traction drive adjusted to the setup and maintenance schedule to make sure your disk wears at an acceptable rate. The only rule to really worry about is not to shift from forward to reverse on the fly (or vice versa) or your friction disk may delaminate from the steel core or chunk out.
This message was modified May 28, 2009 by Snowmann
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42