Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Lawn mower recommendations?? - Toro Super Recycler?? Other??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dp11

Lawn mower recommendations?? - Toro Super Recycler?? Other??
Original Message   Mar 13, 2009 8:48 pm
So while some of you are still buried in snow, around here its been warm and hardly any snow since I bought my snow thrower in late January.  Its melting fast and so I'm thinking lawn mowers.

I havn't needed a mower in 15+ years so a bit ignorant on this topic.  I got through last year with a push reel mower but the clippings sat on top, didn't decompose, turned brown and just raked up with leaves in the fall. 

My situation:
  • Small area - maybe ~4,000 sqft of lawn.  Also part of that is a grassy berm that may be too awkward for a walking mower - I used line trimmer on it previously because reel mower was too much hassle on it.
  • I definitely want to mulch
  • I would like bag capability - thinking leaf cleanup in the fall.
  • I think self propelled is probably overkill given small size of lawn but maybe nice to have if we move in the future
  • I dont care about electric start - a decent machine should be easy to pull start anyway

I have read that some consider the toro super recyclers to be among the best mulching mowers around - if so are they worth considering despite price and presumably complete overkill for my size lawn area?
What else should I look at - Honda? Lawn Boy?

Anything from Sears or Lowes worth a look?  Craftsman and Troy Built etc.
What about engines?  What to look for what to avoid?
Deck - is cast aluminum worth premium?

I'm not looking for top of the line but I dont want junk either.  I want machine to be reliable and long lasting and make the job easier.  Budget is pretty flexible - I'd probably spend up to $500 if I think its worth it but obviously less is better.

Thanks a bunch for any advice.
This topic has no replies.
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42