Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > JohnDeere broke in half

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

JohnDeere broke in half
Original Message   Mar 9, 2009 10:45 am
As the subject says.I was blowing snow this morning and the old Deere split in two.Is it connected by a bolt?I did not really look at it.This is not supposed to happen.Any info i get would be great.I can give more info about it later,thanks,Don

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
pvrp

Re: JohnDeere broke in half
Reply #1   Mar 9, 2009 11:45 am
On my Ariens there's just two bolts keeping the front attached to the rear.  Should be somewhere
on either side of the drive box near the top.
Moderator Denis

Reply #2   Mar 10, 2009 6:03 am
Yes, they often comes loose due to vibration, I suggest that you can put somes longer bolts so that if you find out that there is a play in auger it wont fall down.

nibbler

Reply #3   Mar 10, 2009 8:38 am
Sigh

It would really have helped if you actually looked at the thing and then described what was wrong. Asking us to speculate on what could be wrong in this manner is some times called trolling. Personally I think it is lazy, you are asking people to help you without spending a modicum of your own  time first.

I will now speculate.

The front part of the blower ( auger unit) is attached to the back part ( traction unit) in a manner that allows the two halves to be separated for service. The system I am familiar with has projections near the bottom front corners of the traction housing. There are notches on the back lower corners of the auger housing that hook onto these two projections. At the top front corners of the traction housing are two holes with nuts welded onto the housing that match up with holes on the auger housing. The auger housing engages the lower studs which act as hinges and pivots so that the top holes line up. Bolts are inserted through the holes and screwed into the nuts. This holds the whole thing together. Vibration from use can cause the bolts to come loose so lock washers and periodic tightening is a good idea. I have also had troubles with the welds holding the nuts to the traction housing breaking and needing to be reattached.
donjag

i've gone to find myself,if i'm here when you arrive,keep me here until i get back.

Reply #4   Mar 10, 2009 10:15 am
Nibbler,I am truely sorry.I was in a rush to get the driveway done,i had to help a friend put in a floor.But yes it was wrong on my part.A bolt fell out and that is what was wrong.I really did not think it would be something so simple.Thanks all and once again i am sorry for the lack of information.Don

nibbler

Reply #5   Mar 13, 2009 8:50 am
donjag wrote:
Nibbler,I am truely sorry<Snip>

Don't worry too much. The most frustrating thing for me is not being able to answer the question accurately and help the person. I don't like speculating so I get a bit testy.

I'm glad to hear it was a simple fix. As I said in my previous post checking the bolts at least once a year is a good idea, I think lock washers also help as well.
donjag

Reply #6   Mar 13, 2009 5:36 pm
Hey Nibbler it isnt fixed yet.I am going to look at it toomorow.I know i will have a couple of questions,and i will put pics in the morning.From what i see so far,the welded bolt is not there anymore.Would it be easier to tip the machine on it's side?Thanks.Don

donjag

Reply #7   Mar 14, 2009 11:04 am
Here are a few pictures of where it came apart.
This message was modified Mar 14, 2009 by donjag

nibbler

Not sure
Reply #8   Mar 15, 2009 12:55 pm
I've never tipped it on its side ( intentionally, but lets not talk about that ). Check the other side to see if there is a lower stud or bolt sticking out that the traction unit can latch onto. From what I can see the John Deere may use a different system since I do not see the "hook" is was expecting. I've had the nuts that the upper bolts screw into come off but not the lower pivots. There is what looks like a tear mark on the auger housing and there is a metal finger stickning out from the traction unist si it could be that the pivot has been torn out. If so then it might be a good idea to reinforce the area before putting in a new rod to act as a pivot. Getting a welder is starting to look nicer and nicer .
This message was modified Mar 15, 2009 by nibbler
donjag

Reply #9   Mar 15, 2009 2:59 pm
She is runnin again.When i split it apart,there where 2 pieces that the weld broke.Re welded and bam back in action.Hope to try it out next season.I'm sick of snow.Thanks for your help.Don

nibbler

Reply #10   Mar 15, 2009 9:32 pm
Glad to hear its fixed.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42