Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New engine replacement for Simplicity 724 with Tecumseh H70

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ChrisD

New engine replacement for Simplicity 724 with Tecumseh H70
Original Message   Feb 10, 2009 4:49 pm
My dad's Simplicity 724 with the Tecumseh H70 bit the dust on Saturday. 

I've looked at replacing the engine with a B&S, but it appears the B&S output shaft turns in the wrong direction (CCW),  and the pull starter would be facing the front of the machine.  

The H70 is a 7.0 hp, 3/4" output shaft on the left of the machine when you are in position.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
friiy

Re: New engine replacement for Simplicity 724 with Tecumseh H70
Reply #1   Feb 10, 2009 6:26 pm
Are you sure about, "Turning the wrong way"?

Friiy

ChrisD

Reply #2   Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm
Not sure.  I'll have to take a look.  But  the pull starter on the Tecumseh 8 hp replacement will face the wrong way, making it awkward to start.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2009 by ChrisD
trouts2

Reply #3   Feb 11, 2009 9:17 am
   Simplicity has made several models of 724's over the years.  Which model do you have?   Some models can be refitted more easily than others.  The factory model number should be on the back base of the tractor section. 
friiy

Reply #4   Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am
The engine can be ordered in a configuation to allow the rewind to rotate for any clock position,   they unbolt or you have to drill out the rivits to rotate depending on the model.

Friiy

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Feb 11, 2009 1:25 pm
Chris may be speaking of the old Paddle wheel model 724. If you are standing in the operators position the output shaft is 90 degrees to the left instead of facing forward. The pull starter pulls towards the handle bars on the right . I'm not sure about the direction of rotation but I believe it's CCW. If you used a conventionally configured blower engine to repower the pull starter would be facing to the right side of the machine.Smalll Engine Warehouse has a 7hp ohv Tecumseh Snow engine with a 3/4 shaft  of the proper length  . The head will also tilt to the back and the muffler will face the back but may work. . The price I believe is $240.

I am currently restoring a similar 524 which is the same frame  smaller engine.

Marc

This message was modified Feb 11, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
ChrisD

Reply #6   Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am
Marc, all,

You are correct - it is a paddle wheel Simplicity 724 model with the H-70 motor.  I did confirm a CCW rotation of the shaft which is on the left side (in operator position).

My dad (87) just hates parting with his old stuff.  I have to admit - it's a beast of a machine.  It (H70) threw a rod, and that was after I repaired it 2 years ago.  Makes me believe there was something else wrong.

The replacement Tecumseh motor's pull starter would face front, but it wouldn't be a problem since I could pull the starter rope outwards past the machines handles.

I believe I would need a spacer block, as the H70's shaft height is higher than the replacement's  - 4.125".  I'm going to remove the motor on my next visit, and get the measurements.  I did see the snow motor on the http://smallenginewarehouse.com site for $240.  That will work, I believe.

Marc - One thing that might be a problem - the machine's belt guides are bolted to the H-70's motor area near the output shaft.   Is this going to work with the new motor?  What did you do?

Thanks - great forum!

This message was modified Feb 17, 2009 by ChrisD
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #7   Feb 18, 2009 12:09 pm
Chris- The 524 I am working on has the original 5hp in working condition so no replacement is necessary. I don't know if the replacement Tec. OHV has the tapped holes for the belt guides. I would suggest you call SEW and ask. Most blower engines I have seen have a # of tapped bolt "receptacles " as it is pretty standard fare to have belt guides on most every machine.

I am curious as to what you mean when you say the starter faces forward. If you mean the direction you pull the rope is forward that is easily changed as was pointed out by Friiy in a previous post.  As he pointed out all you need do is rotate the pull starter assembly to a position favoring your installation.

Marc

This message was modified Feb 18, 2009 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
ChrisD

Reply #8   Feb 19, 2009 12:33 pm
Marc,

I can try to rotate the starter.  Looks like there are extra holes. 

Need to assess the bolt pattern for the guides.  The drawing doesn't specify spacing, just bolt size.

I will call SEW once I measure my old H-70's bolt pattern.

Thanks all,

Chris

This message was modified Feb 19, 2009 by ChrisD
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42