Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > scotts L1742

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
snowking63

scotts L1742
Original Message   Feb 8, 2009 10:00 pm
HI , all i know its kinda early to start thinking about spring and grass cutting but i have questions. I am wodering if some one can stear me in the right dirrection.I have a 2002 scott L1742 with 2,000 hours.I have changed the oil every 20 hours and changed the drive belt twice. I do 4 3/4 acre lawns and a field ever week and in the fall pull a dr leaf vac. needless to say the tractor has done its job but i was wondering if it is time to be replaced. it has sever carrosin on the deck and on the lower bodie.The seat is torn practicly in half, and the altanator is junk,2nd 1st and third gear do not work all of the time , and i have limmited brakes.I dont want to put to much more money in it because i dont think it will last more than a year.I would be interested in a x500 48inch(it will fit in the back of the pick up).so any way the point is i am looking for a new tarctor average size jd or other brands any one have suggestion pless let me know.(considering a zero turn)
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Bill_H

Re: scotts L1742
Reply #1   Feb 8, 2009 11:18 pm
Can't answer your question, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but how come so much corrosion on a 7 year old machine? Are you mowing a salt marsh? I just sold my 20+ year old Snapper and it had just a tiny bit of corrosion on the deck. I kept it clean but only painted it once in all that time.

Makes me wonder if there was a defect in the paint job, I've seen that happen on cars.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Santaclause

Reply #2   Feb 9, 2009 8:13 am
well my 2 cents are as follows I looked at the deere not a bad package really for the price if I had that much mowing to do I would pay 200.00 more and get 54 deck could probably pick up a small used trailer to haul tractor,Dont overlook Kubota they have lines of garden tractors also might want to check them out not shure $$ comparison but ,Simplicity or snapper would be worth looking at also simplicity I think is more money but they also make a pretty good product... Would avoid Toro looked them up they have cheapened up alot dont even have anything to compare I think they have switched to the big box specials now low price,shame really but sign of the times I guess.... 
snowking63

Reply #3   Feb 12, 2009 6:58 pm
going back to what you said about toro about being mainly sold in box stores, i defenity cant agrre enough the scotts i have now was the last one bought from home cheapo,it was a gift from my dad and i was only 11 at the time so if i was to go back i would have looked more and probaly have got a bigger tractor since i have got so tall with the seat as far back as it can go i hit my knees on the stering wheel evry time i turn
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42