Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Rubber Toy Stuck in Snowblower Impeller - HELP!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
se817396

Rubber Toy Stuck in Snowblower Impeller - HELP!
Original Message   Jan 30, 2009 12:42 pm
I have a Craftsman 2 Stage Snowblower.  I got a rubber toy stuck in the impeller (stage 2).  The rubber dog toy is jammed really tight bewteen the impeller blade and the metal wall (about a 3/8" gap).  Now....I need some suggestions on how to remove it.

Here is what I gathered up so far online, please let me know if I'm missing anything to be safe

- Remove key, pull spark plug so it cannot start

- Pull the shear pins out, so that the augers don't release stored up energy and get my hand once the item is out (is stored up energy a big issue?)

- Cut the toy out using a small hack saw or sharp blade

Just want to make sure I have everything covered so it's safe.  Let me know if anyone has any tips.  This rubber toy is jammed very tight in the impeller...doesn't budge at all.

Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Bill_H

Re: Rubber Toy Stuck in Snowblower Impeller - HELP!
Reply #7   Feb 4, 2009 11:08 pm
Oh yeah, been there done that. Had some reflectors mounted on aluminum poles marking the side of the driveway. One got knocked over and I didn't know it, and it snowed over it. About 18" of the shaft got twisted around the impeller shaft and the rest was sticking out the top front. I cut off the part sticking out easily, but couldn't get at the rest. It stayed wrapped around the shaft for the rest of the season until I had nice weather to cut it out ... in 2" pieces. Took hours cause I couldn't get an angle with any kind of saw and resorted to using end nippers taking a little at a time.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
nibbler

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2009 6:04 am
Where the energy comes from.

The entire drive train from the engine, through the belts to the impeller shaft and onward can all be under tension. They act like a very stiff spring. When the object is removed the spring releases its tension by moving the auger blades a little bit. Any squishy bits in the wrong place can get stuck, mangled or cut. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does its not nice.

I try to jam a 2x4 down the impeller when I fiddle with the auger. Removing the auger belt also sounds like a good idea but it may be hard to do if the system is under tension. I also use pliers ( channel locks), cutters, screw drivers,  what ever to keep the squishy bits away from things that can go squish. I hadn't thought of a torch but its a good idea.
Bswee109

Reply #9   Mar 14, 2018 5:34 pm
Thank you NickM!!! My snowblower sucked up a rubber stepping stone that was totally jammed between the auger and the casing. I used my reciprocating saw to cut it up and I'm back in business!!
Moderator Denis

Reply #10   Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm
Flame is dangerous! Raise the front of the blower grap a vise-grip on the rubber toy then pour a few bucket of boiling water on the toy until It smooth out, It will come off easy. Good luck Denis
This message was modified Mar 16, 2018 by Denis

Replies: 7 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42