Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 826 LE Toro auger/tranny question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
scottybooj

826 LE Toro auger/tranny question
Original Message   Feb 3, 2009 10:32 pm
Hi, I have an '05 or '06 826 LE.   Just ran over some garden hose tonite.  Cleared it out ok.  The right hand auger now spins freely when you use your hand.  The left hand side auger still remains locked when you try to wiggle it.  When I engage the auger, both sides spin,  but I know the right hand side should not spin when I use my hand.

So, is this a stripped helical gear?  What about thrust bearings/  Are there pins on either side of the drive shaft?  I'm concerned because one side is able to move in either direction while the other doesn't.  Are there two separate gears inside the housing?  

Any advice?

Thanks.
This message was modified Feb 3, 2009 by scottybooj
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: 826 LE Toro auger/tranny question
Reply #1   Feb 3, 2009 11:13 pm
It sounds like you have shear bult SHEARED.Thats why one side is spinning freely while the other side is still power driven and won't spin.Take a better look and it may be missing the part of the bolt or pin which would be sticking out .

scottybooj

Reply #2   Feb 3, 2009 11:42 pm
thanks...so that would be the shear bolt at the end of the axle near the housing?

thanks.
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #3   Feb 4, 2009 12:57 am
scottybooj wrote:
thanks...so that would be the shear bolt at the end of the axle near the housing?thanks.
Scotty,
Can't tell you exactly where on the shaft it is but its purpose is for what happened. The auger tube is conected to the auger shaft via this bolt so instead of breaking your gearbox you sheared your shear bolt saving the gearbox. Usually somewhere on the auger tube in center of its length. When you find the hole you may have to line up the whole with the shaft hole and knock out the part which sometimes remains stuck in there. With a good size nail or the like you can punch it out making it ready for the new one to go in there. Also make sure you get the right shear bolt or else it may not save you the next time. This time of the year HD still have a good supply of them, at least where I live they do. Don't over tighten the new one because it may keep it from snapping the next time. Best of luck.

Allan
This message was modified Feb 4, 2009 by hirschallan

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42